Flowers 2021

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Ooooohh! Gotta get me one!! Ordered a hardy one online. It came DOA, I chock it up to Covid casualty. I’d like to find one that had a little caliper. Not easy to find where I live.
They don't sell hardy ones around here, they sell them as annuals. Never tried bringing one inside before, but it loves the lights!

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Pink Beauty Japanese Quince from Brent. Just received it last week along with 3 others, but it was the only one with flower buds at the moment.

IMG_3628.jpg

Nuccios Wild Cheery

IMG_3615.jpg

IMG_3611.jpg

Azalea Encore Sangria. This one flowers all the time, nice pinkish purple... but one of the branches gives me these flowers... I am planning on air-layering and see if I can have a tree with just those flowers. I know it is past its prime... but it's the only picture I found in my computer at this time.
IMG_3499.jpg

Last edited:

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
My friend gave me this rooted cutting from her great grandmothers old school spider plant. I began to be suspicious of it being a spider plant until it recently through this elongate running branch with apical leaves. Recently it became covered in buds and this one bloom opened this morning…good things
8CEF1D66-84AE-4C8B-B587-D81F5526407D.jpeg695FF806-5CCA-4D31-BBE9-1AA1F4ADF2C4.jpeg131669BF-FBF3-4788-8E96-BB88A7EC6AF9.jpeg

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@Carol 83 -. Carol inspired me to get a few Camelia over the summer. Most went into the well house for winter, below 40F, to sit. But this one was in medium high bud. It finally opened. Camelia 'High Fragrance' . It has a pleasant fragrance, but so far it is a faint fragrance. A bit disappointed. Nice color for Christmas.

IMG_20211218_100444373~2.jpg

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Another recent bloomer is an orchid, Lycaste macrobulbon. Lovely 2 inch across yellow flowers, they last about 3 weeks. Comes from a wet-dry monsoon climate, pacific coast of Colombia. It flowers at the end of the dry season. It dropped it's leaves in early October. Unfortunately no fragrance.
IMG_20211120_072824197.jpg

IMG_20211120_072702774.jpg

Flowers were fading when I took the photos. Normal color is a smooth vibrant chrome yellow.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cymbidium going to make a show for the first time ever…
It must be a challenge where you live. Even here cymbidium are grown in a cooler greenhouse. The species hates hot but maybe you have a cultivar I am not familiar with that doesn't mind the heat as much.

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
It must be a challenge where you live. Even here cymbidium are grown in a cooler greenhouse. The species hates hot but maybe you have a cultivar I am not familiar with that doesn't mind the heat as much.
Here in southern cal, we can grow them in the ground, we just have to place them with afternoon shade.
It is the standard bright yellow cymbidium.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
@Carol 83 -. Carol inspired me to get a few Camelia over the summer. Most went into the well house for winter, below 40F, to sit. But this one was in medium high bud. It finally opened. Camelia 'High Fragrance' . It has a pleasant fragrance, but so far it is a faint fragrance. A bit disappointed. Nice color for Christmas.

View attachment 412663
Very pretty, I think similar to what my Buttons and Bows will look like. Do you think the ones in the wellhouse will bloom with no light?

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

View attachment 412663
the density of petals here is just ridiculous.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Very pretty, I think similar to what my Buttons and Bows will look like. Do you think the ones in the wellhouse will bloom with no light?

I'm hoping the ones in the well house stay dormant until spring, they were the spring blooming ones. I will have to keep an eye on them. I have 2 autumn or winter bloomers, and 2 for spring.

'High Fragrance' opened up wide, over 3 inches across. Now it is fairly potent fragrance.

IMG_20211219_133347009~2.jpg

Top Bottom