Flowers 2023

SeanS

Omono
Reaction score
Johannesburg, South Africa (SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE)
USDA Zone
9b
The benefits of having people all over the globe on Bnut, I get to share some mid/late summer flowering plants with my northern hemisphere compatriots!

Elaeagnus pungens, collected 3 of these from a local garden last winter. They’re doing really well and one of them is flowering 😍

1A34CCB6-1AEC-402B-BB13-433D2A6FE964.jpeg658E2D5A-860B-41F6-B8C3-3FFA7F3E8959.jpeg

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Loving everyone's amaryllis. Mine bloomed a few weeks ago around Christmas View attachment 468858

Do any of you "over summer" them?

My orange is flowering, they smell great. This is the last of about 15 over the last two weeks.View attachment 468857

I have a collection of mother-in-law gifts from the past that I've kept. After the bloom for Christmas, I keep them in leaf outside in full sun until about October. It's too warm here to stop them much sooner. It's then too late to wake them in December so I wait until now ish to replant for spring flowers.

I was just looking yesterday for pots to get the old ones started this year...

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Loving everyone's amaryllis. Mine bloomed a few weeks ago around Christmas View attachment 468858

Do any of you "over summer" them?

My orange is flowering, they smell great. This is the last of about 15 over the last two weeks.View attachment 468857
I’ve had this one for 8 years. A306F223-2E52-4631-9A14-9C180CDE6234.jpeg

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The benefits of having people all over the globe on Bnut, I get to share some mid/late summer flowering plants with my northern hemisphere compatriots!

Elaeagnus pungens, collected 3 of these from a local garden last winter. They’re doing really well and one of them is flowering 😍

View attachment 468859View attachment 468860
I can smell them from here, such a lovely fragrance.

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sadly I lost my shroeder last summer...I was growing it as a large multi-lead specimen and it was too big to manage in my new space. I ended up getting it sunburnt on more than one occasion due to not having a good spot for it. I should have divided it again in the spring so I could manage it better but was too busy. I've had that orchid a many a year and am missing it's curly purple locks :(

The besse, on the other hand, has done very very well this year! I've never had a phrag flower stem branch for me before but this one has two side branches this year!

20230117_162634.jpg 20230117_162609.jpg

Sorry for the sideways pic! The flower is a little caterwompy due to the lighting situation it's currently in :)

MMJNICE

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Noticed this silver maple last year and put it on my hit list to destroy. It was between the my shed an the neighbors fence bum about 6 feet tall. After closer inspection it had decent movement down low on the trunk so I decided to dig him up..probably about an 2 and a half to possibly 3 inch trunk on him.. I'm debating on trunk chopping it further to redevelopment it into a naturalistic style American silver maples but it's already got a good beginning of a broom style, it's just long and skinny.. it's probably 2 and a half feet tall.. like me know what you would do with this tree..

Attachments

• 20230117_004236.jpg
    20230117_004236.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 20230117_005134.jpg
    20230117_005134.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 23

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Sadly I lost my shroeder last summer...I was growing it as a large multi-lead specimen and it was too big to manage in my new space. I ended up getting it sunburnt on more than one occasion due to not having a good spot for it. I should have divided it again in the spring so I could manage it better but was too busy. I've had that orchid a many a year and am missing it's curly purple locks :(

The besse, on the other hand, has done very very well this year! I've never had a phrag flower stem branch for me before but this one has two side branches this year!

View attachment 469085 View attachment 469086

Sorry for the sideways pic! The flower is a little caterwompy due to the lighting situation it's currently in :)
Thanks for posting this. I think this may be the same variety as mine. It has branched quite well. It started flowering in mid July and is still going. The flowers are relatively small compared to other phrags. I think I can put a name to it now.
D87FFA30-8850-43D7-BFD3-6BBE66F64B40.jpeg

MMJNICE

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Noticed this silver maple last year and put it on my hit list to destroy. It was between the my shed an the neighbors fence bum about 6 feet tall. After closer inspection it had decent movement down low on the trunk so I decided to dig him up..probably about an 2 and a half to possibly 3 inch trunk on him.. I'm debating on trunk chopping it further to redevelopment it into a naturalistic style American silver maples but it's already got a good beginning of a broom style, it's just long and skinny.. it's probably 2 and a half feet tall.. like me know what you would do with this tree..
Posted this to the wrong thread.. trying to figure out how to remove smh...

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for posting this. I think this may be the same variety as mine. It has branched quite well. It started flowering in mid July and is still going. The flowers are relatively small compared to other phrags. I think I can put a name to it now.
View attachment 469226

Yes, that looks like a besse hybrid.

Mine looks to have much coarser and maybe more compact foliage...but that could be cultivation.

20230119_094911.jpg

I've had mine a couple of years now and it always blooms for me but I don't think it's getting enough light. The leaves are too dark and I don't ever ger more than one new lead at a time.

I want to divide it to get more flowers but it refuses to grow multiple leads even with hormones. And by the time the new leader is large enough, the back leads have declined too far to divide them out.

Top Bottom