Flowers 2023

KateM

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Any luck growing fuschia as a tree?
Well, a thought crossed my mind...
Fuchsia bonsai even. Need small leaf/flower variety though. Lots of nice images out there.
I am growing this one from a small cutting I got last summer and it is doing surprisingly well. It’s got ¼” diameter almost woody stem at the soil level, but because the stems, leaves and especially flowers are so heavy the stem is almost horizontal… I might cut it back and repot to adjust the angle of the stem and try to grow more tree-like in the Spring.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Sadly I lost my shroeder last summer...I was growing it as a large multi-lead specimen and it was too big to manage in my new space. I ended up getting it sunburnt on more than one occasion due to not having a good spot for it. I should have divided it again in the spring so I could manage it better but was too busy. I've had that orchid a many a year and am missing it's curly purple locks :(

The besse, on the other hand, has done very very well this year! I've never had a phrag flower stem branch for me before but this one has two side branches this year!

View attachment 469085 View attachment 469086

Sorry for the sideways pic! The flower is a little caterwompy due to the lighting situation it's currently in :)

This looks like a hybrid I made some 20 years ago, Phragmipedium Inca Embers (Andean Fire x longifolium) = (besseae x lindleyanum) x longifolium

So the ancestry is 25% besseae and the other 2 species are species capable of producing 24 or more flowers per stem over an 18 month period.

Like sorting out the provenance of a lost tag Japanese maple, without the tag, you can't be certain of the ancestry. There are similar hybrids made with just one parent changed. So until you find your tag it is a lost tag Phrag. But I'm pretty sure its my cross or a similar cross substituting sargentianum for lindleyanum in the ancestry. A beautiful hybrid none the less.

Note - I had to edit this post, because I even incorrectly recalled parentage. Luckily I remembered the RHS has a database look up for parentage. Fortunately I did the look up within the 15 minute time limit.

Last edited:

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Mine tend to have softer colors inside that they do outside, pretty in pink.
Now that I've learned more about caring for them I'm curious to see what happens to them this summer outside.
They've been creeping along but no serious growth for months, then I tried some of the acid fertilizer on them and they exploded with growth.
Slowly getting my soil mixes figured out, so another season or two and most of my plants and trees will be looking great!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Just another hibiscus, but the hue was so vibrant this morning when I found it that I had to share. My crappy phone camera does NOT do it justice.
View attachment 469970
Mine tend to have softer colors inside that they do outside, pretty in pink.
This picture I took in Sep of last year is my favorite Hibiscus pic so far. Looks like a painting to me, and it has a little bit of everything. :)

PXL_20220913_160040668 (1).jpg

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Now that I've learned more about caring for them I'm curious to see what happens to them this summer outside.
They've been creeping along but no serious growth for months, then I tried some of the acid fertilizer on them and they exploded with growth.
Slowly getting my soil mixes figured out, so another season or two and most of my plants and trees will be looking great!
What kind of light do they get? Mine are too big to put under the lights and just get sunlight from an east patio door and a southern window but they have done extremely well this winter and are growing well. They are patio plants, so I bring them in just to have some winter flowers and save a little money so I don't have to buy new ones every year.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
What kind of light do they get? Mine are too big to put under the lights and just get sunlight from an east patio door and a southern window but they have done extremely well this winter and are growing well. They are patio plants, so I bring them in just to have some winter flowers and save a little money so I don't have to buy new ones every year.
I keep mine on the east facing front porch in the summer and it's in the MI Juniper Tropical room now. :) Seemed like it was getting leggy under the lights for 3 months so I put it into a semi shade place on the floor. Need to be repotted next season.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have a variety of cheap grow bulbs - just enough to keep everything in good health over winter in a north facing window - but this year I also added a 4ft bar hanging from a hook in the ceiling. The tallest plants, including the hibiscus, are on the top shelf under that.
IMG_20230126_204058_275.jpg
It looks like an electrical fire waiting to happen, but it's really just over 100w running through a heavy duty 10ft extension cord. The 80PAR bar at the top, then a couple 23PAR and a 19PAR bulbs. That's all average PAR/PPFD, not max. Max PAR is only a useful measure if you're putting 1 light per plant, which I obviously don't do. I've measured over 200PAR in spots an easy 2ft from a light. Window gets NO direct sunlight at all, or I wouldn't bother so much. Timer currently set to run from 530am to 7pm because leaving the lights on until bedtime was affecting my sleep.

You can see the pickle jars with the kids' goldfish on the left, top shelf.😀

Top Bottom