Flowers 2023

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Did you get it from the nursery near you?
Yes. It's a decent place in my neck of the woods. They have a coy pond, three cats indoors, and a tortoise, had a huge stock of all kinds of pots, a decent size tropical section, and huge hoop houses full of cold hardy trees. I almost bought this really cool citrus semi cascade , with deadwood, but it was $450, and way above my skill level. When I first looked I only saw the $50 part and couldn't believe it was so cheap. Looked again because it couldn't be right and saw the real price. :oops: The bonsai "master" (is that the right title?) was present and not busy so I got to learn quite a bit too. Also my original first bonsai class was supposed to be last month but got cancelled, and rescheduled to January 28th. So, I'm going back soon. :)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Lucky you. Flower Market, right? They used to post stuff on the FB auctions, although I haven't been on there in a long time. Might be worth a look.
Yes. The flower Market. Flowers, houseplants, and bonsai nursery. Wigerts looks bigger, from what I saw online, but it's nice to have a local place I can peruse in person. :)

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
but it's nice to have a local place I can peruse in person.
I am jealous! There used to be a bonsai nursery just a few miles from me, out in the country. It was run by two brothers and although small, I loved that place. Unfortunately, they retired and closed. This isn't exactly a bonsai mecca, I suspect most of their customers came from the St. Louis area.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I am jealous! There used to be a bonsai nursery just a few miles from me, out in the country. It was run by two brothers and although small, I loved that place. Unfortunately, they retired and closed. This isn't exactly a bonsai mecca, I suspect most of their customers came from the St. Louis area.
That sucks. :(

I hope the place by me stays open. I don't see a lot of foot traffic when I go, but that doesn't mean much. since I don't go very often. Since I'm such a noob I like to go and compare their plants to mine, and see all the different the trees in the different seasons. :)

Last edited:

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When I was younger, I could barely keep these alive and I never got spider babies from them. My daughter has mostly turned this ones care over to me while she's in college and it has spider babies all over the place and has flowered for me every year.

20230103_162344.jpg 20230103_162415.jpg

I guess the trick to them is to leave them in a neglected corner and forget about them...just don't tell my daughter ;)

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
When I was younger, I could barely keep these alive and I never got spider babies from them. My daughter has mostly turned this ones care over to me while she's in college and it has spider babies all over the place and has flowered for me every year.

View attachment 467250 View attachment 467251

I guess the trick to them is to leave them in a neglected corner and forget about them...just don't tell my daughter ;)
My oldest brought one home from school a couple years ago, a little cutting. It lives at her mom's house, but I'm told it's has almost 10 foot runs now.
We've never heard of them flowering, so she'll be excited to learn that.

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My oldest brought one home from school a couple years ago, a little cutting. It lives at her mom's house, but I'm told it's has almost 10 foot runs now.
We've never heard of them flowering, so she'll be excited to learn that.

The flowers don't last long and are on the runners with the baby spiders. It's possible it's bloomed and she hadn't noticed!

Top Bottom