Fly fishing for bonsai

Kodama16

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey guys. I got some fly fishing rods and a reel that I was seeing if any one interested in trading for bonsai pots or trees. Reel and rod from Japan new. And two more that are refurbished antique rods. All like new.
I was planning to move to North Carolina and become a fly fisher. Long story short I blew out my shoulder and got eleven screws. Didn’t move and been sitting on the rods. I figure anyone that likes to fly fish would maybe want to trade. looking for pots, azalea, or Japanese maples.
message me : )
869C5D0C-2ACD-4777-B071-ED8F94D149AE.jpegI

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Drop it here and hit up @VAFisher !

Sucks about your shoulder, but I will not allow that excuse forever.

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Very sorry to hear about your shoulder, what a kick in the pants.

Bamboo? I don't think I have anything I'm looking to get rid of at this stage, but if you provided clarity on anything in particular you were looking for I'd mull it over.

I do have 7 pots I was looking to sell (all but two tokoname unless I'm forgetting something, the other two are an earlier Minari - shohin size - and then a decent production pot) but it doesn't look like it's going to go through - don't know if that's aligned with your thoughts / what value you're looking for / what the details on these rods are in order to gauge what I'd want to trade, but that might be something worth exploring. I should know for sure tomorrow whether or not they're already spoken for, but my guess is that I'll be coming home with them.

As yet, I haven't gotten up the energy to list them on bonsai auctions on FB and I'm almost wondering if I'll be hanging on to them til repotting season next year to get the most bang for the buck.

Kodama16

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Drop it here and hit up @VAFisher !

Sucks about your shoulder, but I will not allow that excuse forever.

Sorce
It does but. I’m getting use to it. Been a few years now but I don’t have the motion like I use to. And won’t ever have the motion for that type of fishing lol
Very sorry to hear about your shoulder, what a kick in the pants.

Bamboo? I don't think I have anything I'm looking to get rid of at this stage, but if you provided clarity on anything in particular you were looking for I'd mull it over.

I do have 7 pots I was looking to sell (all but two tokoname unless I'm forgetting something, the other two are an earlier Minari - shohin size - and then a decent production pot) but it doesn't look like it's going to go through - don't know if that's aligned with your thoughts / what value you're looking for / what the details on these rods are in order to gauge what I'd want to trade, but that might be something worth exploring. I should know for sure tomorrow whether or not they're already spoken for, but my guess is that I'll be coming home with them.

As yet, I haven't gotten up the energy to list them on bonsai auctions on FB and I'm almost wondering if I'll be hanging on to them til repotting season next year to get the most bang for the buck.
If your interested indefinitely get ya the info I have. All are bamboo. I guess I should of said that lol. When I get some time I’ll take photos of them outside so y’all can see the quality. Nothing I have is crazy expensive. There 100-300$ each. And the reel I got was around 140 I think. I’m going get some photos : ) I’m just glad to see there some interest.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
It does but. I’m getting use to it. Been a few years now but I don’t have the motion like I use to. And won’t ever have the motion for that type of fishing lol

If your interested indefinitely get ya the info I have. All are bamboo. I guess I should of said that lol. When I get some time I’ll take photos of them outside so y’all can see the quality. Nothing I have is crazy expensive. There 100-300$ each. And the reel I got was around 140 I think. I’m going get some photos : ) I’m just glad to see there some interest.

Let's see if I come home with those pots tomorrow and I'll let you know, I've never fished bamboo and this might be a good opportunity to try it out if the stars align...

Do you have pictures of the builders marks?

Last edited:

Kodama16

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So sorry been a bit. Here are the rods I have C043645B-A4E8-4FE4-AC08-E1A7103C0D93.jpeg
The two on the left are from Japan. Long story short I bought the left one for $300 and it got damage in shipping. So he sent me the better one (was valued at $500) to replace it. The first one I repaired it but it’s more just for practice casting I would say. Here are the marks on them. 23F3A34C-D5B9-4767-B554-905DC4E6527C.jpeg
9B8B9650-9E0C-4D2F-9E7E-AE237D45B9F5.jpeg

The last two are older rods that were refurbished to new condition. They don’t have marks. If memory serves me well I paid 150-200 each for them.
And lastly I have this reel. I about around 130-140 for it. And it’s backed with new string. I think it’s 4 weight.
343FD1DA-1F86-4100-AF44-B3CE1D2E5159.jpeg
983F6310-DB34-413D-B97D-4D967D334CE1.jpeg

I’ve never used any of them. Let me know if anything catches your attention : )

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
TBH I should probably hold off for now - just starting a new job and I know how I am about getting to the PO when I’m busy…. Nice rods tho!

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
Hey do you still have these ? I don’t have a big budget but I’m just wondering .

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry about your shoulder friend. Believe me, I've been there. Had a total shoulder replacement in April and have been told my motion will always be limited. I am just getting back into making pots and it is not easy. My passion is traditional archery. It will never be the same so I may end up selling my two Black Widow bows.

Top Bottom