Flying Dragon #2

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I don't know if I have posted this one here before, but it is my other flying dragon. It was grown from seed by my dad, just like the other that is posted here, my dad has two green thumbs and can grow anything. I got this one as a 6 inch seedling. An interesting note about growing them from seed. My dad has a really nice bonsai that is the contorted variety that fruits. Each orange has 10-20 seeds. When planted, only 40-50% of the seeds will be contorted, the rest will not. So, when purchasing seedlings, make sure that it is at least two years old to make sure that it is exhibiting the contorting trait.

I was running out of daylight, so not as many pictures of this repot. I did get it into an pot that I had on hand and I hope to change the angle to make it more dynamic. Anyhow, here are the pics, what do you think?

DSC04714-1.jpg

DSC04715-1.jpg

DSC04718-1.jpg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Absolutely 💯 LOVE it! Thanks for sharing John. I'm pretty certain mine was an air layer. But very good knowledge gained for anyone wanting to grow them from seed.

Any images of your dad's tree around here?

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Absolutely 💯 LOVE it! Thanks for sharing John. I'm pretty certain mine was an air layer. But very good knowledge gained for anyone wanting to grow them from seed.

Any images of your dad's tree around here?
I don't think so, but I will get one this weekend and post it. Sunday is church and family day and I will be visiting then.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I don't know if I have posted this one here before, but it is my other flying dragon. It was grown from seed by my dad, just like the other that is posted here, my dad has two green thumbs and can grow anything. I got this one as a 6 inch seedling. An interesting note about growing them from seed. My dad has a really nice bonsai that is the contorted variety that fruits. Each orange has 10-20 seeds. When planted, only 40-50% of the seeds will be contorted, the rest will not. So, when purchasing seedlings, make sure that it is at least two years old to make sure that it is exhibiting the contorting trait.

I was running out of daylight, so not as many pictures of this repot. I did get it into an pot that I had on hand and I hope to change the angle to make it more dynamic. Anyhow, here are the pics, what do you think?

View attachment 352682

View attachment 352683

View attachment 352684
Nice tree and great nebari. I have a large Flying Dragon in the ground and two bonsai. Hopefully next year my bonsai will flower and fruit. Just germinated 300 seedlings.

Top Bottom