Foemina Fell Repot - OK in April?

JRDillWFM

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
My Foemina Juniper fell over in strong wind and a lot of soil came out. It's about time for a repot anyways, as I've had this guy for about 2.5 years and no idea how long it was in this container before then. I know we repot in the spring, just unsure of repotting this late.

Also, looking for advice on the huge roots. Is it OK to remove these two? The reason I ask is they are huge on one side, but the opposite side has no roots like this so the nebari is kind of off balance.

IMG_4546.jpg

IMG_4547.jpg

Bad photo, but she is happily growing insanely tall!
IMG_4532.jpg

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I would start the repot process and not worry about those roots until you see what it looks like. Judging from the blackish stuff below those roots, it might very well be possible that those thick roots hold all the finer roots.
It could also be that there are nice roots below those fatties. Hard to tell from above the surface.

Junipers, in my experience at least, are pretty flexible about repotting timing. But I see that you guys are already in the 30C and up over there in TX, not sure if I can translate my own findings to your location.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd leave it.

What's your plan fer it?

Sorce

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Do the repot, and decide after you have a good look as to whether to remove those fat roots or not. Junipers are usually one of the last trees to be repotted in spring, so it might not be too late in Houston. It is too early right now in Milwaukee.

Top Bottom