Foemina Forest

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In spring of this year I had transplanted two forest into one. The forest currently contains 13 trees. I may be thinking of reducing it to 11 next repot. I think it may have too many trees. The tallest tree is 38 inches tall and the pot measures 35 inches across. I pruned the whole thing last weekend and decided to post a shot here this weekend.

I am still not happy with the composition in the pot and am looking for ideas for next year when I repot.

Best regards, Al

edit:
Note the brite sun and short sleeved shirt in February for repotting season!

Last edited:

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Looking good Al, it reminded me of another similar forest (well reknown) The clump at the left is a little disturbing but that might just be the photograph itself. Is this the area you are talking of removing some trees?

Ashbarns

Mame
Reaction score
What I can see of this composition is the fifth trunk on the left be moved closer to the other four and leave the 13 tree presentation as it is. The clump on the left is subtle and challenging without being too perfect and predictable. You will then have a 5-3-5 composition, though not too obvious. I like what is presented here.

Ash

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I like your forest Al. My only suggestion would be the clump on the left it is distracting to the eye. For me, instead of wanting to look through the forest my eye moves to the left. The composition gives really good depth of field for the exception of those trees. As Ash said it could be the photo but I'll play devils advocate and suggest that the idea of the clump be semi-abandoned or at the least some separation fore and aft. Great job and love the February attire.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Another photo might help Al, I can't tell but it might be all the grass behind looking like foliage on the trees. Otherwise it kind of seems like a height v width issue.

Not to say that I don't like it Al, as usual good work.

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Al, I like this tree a lot. I'm not sure I would change anything. The denser bit with the smaller trunks looks so natural, as in the forest there is less crowding around the giants and more in the smaller trees. It gives a charming unpredictability to this forest. I would have to study this one long and hard in person before I would suggest changing anything much about it.

Thanks for posting this one!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
3b
Here are the "problems" as I see them:

It's basically as high as it is wide as indicated by the red lines, that can seem a bit boring to me.
The area circled by the blue color is much more dense than the green area.
The yellow area indicates foliage that seems to be the same size and the even distance between each pad attracts a lot of attention and looks a bit wierd to me.

Hope that helps...

cbobgo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
'no its not' brings up some good points.

My eye was drawn to the main tree that has the sloping up from left to right at the base. I'm wondering if it would look better to the left of center instead of to the right of center.

- bob

grog

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My eye keeps going back to the 4th tree from the left. Not necessarily in a bad way but I look at the whole and that one drags me to it. Trying to use my myopic mind's eye to imagine that tree a bit shorter.

Behr

Yamadori
Reaction score
Mr. Al,

This group is progressing very nicely, as I would expect under your care...I am still of the opinion that it is not the trunks on the left side that creates the heavy feeling there, but the amount and placement of the foliage pads...In fact I think this is one of the best planned out patterns of trunk placement I have seen in quite some time...FWIW I am still quite fond of it, but I don't think I would change much from the virt I did for you [the progressive one we shared in chat at BT] when you first put this together...

I do look forward to watching it develop, and thanks for the update...

Regards
Behr

:) :) :)

Top Bottom