Foliar Feeding - Myth?

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
So let me understand, if I bring a RMJ home and plant it in a crack in my driveway, it should do just as well as in a pot with water and fertilizer, or did I miss something.

Harry

Reaction score
USDA Zone
So let me understand, if I bring a RMJ home and plant it in a crack in my driveway, it should do just as well as in a pot with water and fertilizer, or did I miss something.

Harry

Funny stuff.

Who knows? It may do better, in fact I know some people in bonsai that I would guarantee it would do better. ;)

No one said anything about doing better, what was said and what will happen is that it will respond the same as any other plant. If food, air, or water is taken away, it will die, be it in the forest, the nursery, the sidewalk, or in a pot. It will react the same, feed the same, take up water the same, and yes, even die the same.

In short, the location (nature or pot) a plant is in does not change the way it takes in nutrients, be it by the roots or otherwise. Therefore, studies on foliar feeding plants in a field can be applied to plants in a container.

Will

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Funny stuff.

Who knows? It may do better, in fact I know some people in bonsai that I would guarantee it would do better. ;)

No one said anything about doing better, what was said and what will happen is that it will respond the same as any other plant. If food, air, or water is taken away, it will die, be it in the forest, the nursery, the sidewalk, or in a pot. It will react the same, feed the same, take up water the same, and yes, even die the same.

In short, the location (nature or pot) a plant is in does not change the way it takes in nutrients, be it by the roots or otherwise. Therefore, studies on foliar feeding plants in a field can be applied to plants in a container.

Will

I am going to rub a porkchop on my arm tonight, I'll let you know the results, stay tuned.

Harry

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Study results from aspirin companies. I read the paper one day that enough caffeine will kill me. Two weeks later I read where caffeine is good for me. But I will admit I like the one about red wine.

Harry
lol.... they aren't all by aspirin companies. As I happen to currently be employed by a research facility specializing in Cancer research I know that some of those studies were conducted by the people I trust. Sometimes in the world of science there really are people out there who want to make the world a better place. now take your aspirin, it won't kill you. :p And I'd be happy to share a glass of red wine with you whenever you get a chance to come up here to the PNW. :)

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It sounds like collected trees with very few roots available can certainly benefit from foliar feeding. I have not practiced it so far, but I will definitely use foliar feeding next time I collect one of those old California junipers.
Thanks guys for the great info.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I love red wine, Merlot especially. There is an inexpensive Austalian inexpensive wine labeled under the name YellowTail that is really good for the price, nice finish as well.

By the way Ang3lfir3 that was an excellent response you posted eariler.

Will

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
i currently prefer malbecs.... but a nice merlot never hurt ne one either.

current preference on the blended reds is 01' Ferrari Carano Tresor. If you can find it... buy it...

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
I have a friend here in Oklahoma that has a vinyard, every spring he has a wine festival where you but a souvenir glass and stay all day if you wish, testing his wines. I never drive home. I thought you guys on the west coast like 2 buck chucks. :D

Harry

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a friend here in Oklahoma that has a vinyard, every spring he has a wine festival where you but a souvenir glass and stay all day if you wish, testing his wines. I never drive home. I thought you guys on the west coast like 2 buck chucks. :D

Harry

I have proof that some of the same grape that goes into a bottle of two buck chuck goes into a bottle of Sterling 29.00 dollar cabernet savingon. I live in the heart of wine country. Wine is the biggest rip off buisness on the planet, followed closely by bottled water.

Want to debunk a real myth? Try delving into what is really in your bottle of wine. By law it only has to contain 25% of the stated varietal labled on the bottle. Two buck Chuck says on the label that it is from Sonoma, Ca. A region known the world over as making some of the worlds finest wine. Yet most of the wine in the bottle comes from Quaty winery in Madera CA. Not exactly the wine capital of the world.

Attachments

• DSC_000114.JPG
    DSC_000114.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
I have proof that some of the same grape that goes into a bottle of two buck chuck goes into a bottle of Sterling 29.00 dollar cabernet savingon. I live in the heart of wine country. Wine is the biggest rip off buisness on the planet, followed closely by bottled water.

I find it amusing that the very same people that bitch about $3 gasoline will go and buy a bottle of water out of someones faucet that cost $1.65. I may be an idiot sometimes, but I'm not a fool. At our state fair, there was a wine tasting judging, they're were about 6 wines involved, including a couple of high dollar import wines and some California wines along with my friends wine, guess who won, yep, my friend with his little winery.

Harry

Last edited:

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I find it amusing that the very same people that bitch about $3 gasoline will go and buy a bottle of water out of someones faucet that cost $1.65. I may be an idiot sometimes, but I'm not a fool.

Harry

strangley... that topic was covered here in news once... I actually was not aware that tap water must meet higher health standards than bottled water..... how is that for messed up.... luckily i never fell for the water myth.... the wine on the other hand... well it certainly doesn't come out of the tap.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sterling mixed with 2bukchuck grapes? Nooooo !!, no wonder it tastes bad.

We did a Sterling tour last year when we went to Callistoga on the way up to go see Evergreen Garden Works for the first time and I never saw any Madera grapes there. You could be right and maybe they are cutting the batch in a secret location in the winery. We then went across the street to Clos Pegas and the wine was much better.

It is hard in the grape growing racket to bring your self to reduce your yield in mid season for higher quality but it is critical for better flavor.

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Back to foliar feeding, I have a couple of questions for any one who thinks they do so and believes they see results from the practice.

Anyone game?

Will

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Will, you might want to check the Full Fert after Root Work/Collection Myth thread, Walter might want to play.

Harry

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
By the way, rubbing a porkchop on my arms didn't work, you were right Will. It was one of the worst nights ever, no sleep. I had two dogs licking my arms all night. Now back to foliar feeding. Sorry for the interuption.

Harry

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
By the way, rubbing a porkchop on my arms didn't work, you were right Will. It was one of the worst nights ever, no sleep. I had two dogs licking my arms all night. Now back to foliar feeding. Sorry for the interuption.

Harry

HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!! Harry that was way funny!!!!

Reaction score
USDA Zone

Harry

At least you tried meat, I tried cheese and the rats still follow me around from forum to forum ;)

Will

tombeur

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I love red wine, Merlot especially. There is an inexpensive Austalian inexpensive wine labeled under the name YellowTail that is really good for the price, nice finish as well.

By the way Ang3lfir3 that was an excellent response you posted eariler.

Will

The Yellowtail is good but if you really want a red wine that will tickle your palate try a 10 year old Barolo

Cheers,

Steve

Top Bottom