Foliar feeding yamadori

JesusFreak

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
How soon can you foliar feed juniper yamadori and cuttings..I harvested the yamadori about 3 months ago

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Since it "doesn't do anything", it doesn't matter! Lol!

If you're using fish emulsion it has benefits beyond "foliar feeding".

Sorce

JesusFreak

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Well I was thinking a fish emulsion,kelp, humic/fulvic acid mixture.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Well I was thinking a fish emulsion,kelp, humic/fulvic acid mixture.

Don't get discouraged by the two naysayers above. Foliar feeding does work to some degree, it is not total internet junk science. Junipers, and trees in general can, and do, absorb some nutrition through their needles or leaves. You can take advantage of this and by wetting your foliage with the same fertilizer solution you are going to apply to the soil, you can get "a little more into the tree" than would be absorbed by the tree with the damaged or compromised root system.

Your proposed mixture makes an excellent fertilizer, applied to both soil and foliage.

Would I ever spray a fertilizer solution on just the foliage, and keep the solution off the soil. NO.

But wetting the foliage with the fertilizer solution you are applying to the soil is a good practice. Up to somewhere near 25% or even 30% of the total nutrients absorbed by a tree can be absorbed through the foliage. When a transplanted tree has a weak root system, using foliar feeding you can help get nutrition into your tree when the roots are not working well.

Junipers, redwoods, and many conifers actually take in a good deal of their moisture by absorbing water directly through their foliage. In the evening when dew, or fog settles on the trees outdoors, much of this moisture is absorbed by the tree. This is one of the reason some trees seem to thrive in desert conditions, night time dew or fog supply moisture.

So I would never just apply fertilizer to foliage alone, but wetting the foliage with fertilizer does help.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
At lower dosages than what you'd put in the soil, it can be beneficial.
I wouldn't go above 25% or so. Just to prevent unnecessary salt stress to the foliage when the roots are rebuilding.

Top Bottom