Foliar Feeding

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bonsai Heresies by Michael Hagedorn. Evidence suggests foliar feeding does work. Beginning on page 177.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Personally have spray bottle and apply where desirable. Any runoff amounts to insignificance compared to actual feeding;). Often is to individual branch tip needing a boost to strengthen growth or encourage budding after loss or cut of bud.
This works for me as well. Also works well in forest or other combination plantings to encourage one plant to grow more than others.

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
So.....does what I do count as foliar feeding???
I mix up a big batch of blue Kool-Aid/witch's brew (Jacks 20-20-20, ProTekt, Superthrive) and just fill my Japanese copper watering can and water the whole tree, leaves, roots and all. The leaves do take on a bluish cast. Seems to work for me and is completely anecdotal of course. Also, is it really the foliar part or the roots that is more effective? no way to know in my case.

Also, the amounts that remain on the leaves turning them bluish may just be a reservoir for the next few days [as I only fertilize once a week (if I remember..)] as I normal water (again leaves and soil, the whole tree) and perhaps some of that dried up fertilizer is washed off the leaves and dripping on the soil and may be adding to root uptake of fertilizer anyway. I'm not sure if I really need to know exactly what percentage goes in through the roots versus the leaves because I don't think it matters to me...

Top Bottom