Follow up on my craigslist elm

anthony burce

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I ended up loping off the top foliage. I figured that in doing so, i risked its life, but as you can see it went were i wanted. i had faith in it after new growth started popping out before i did the deed. Now, im constanly redirecting energy by rubbing off buds in places im not going to want a branch (right or wrong pratice?)
The tree is impressing me at its virility. Any advice or comments are welcome.

Attachments

• 2015-07-05 18.12.08.jpg
    2015-07-05 18.12.08.jpg
    320.8 KB · Views: 101

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Try using the same thread, it helps following progress.

anthony burce

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Yeah i did read your post awhile back. Really helpful. I am going to chop it right about there. Ive done so much already and its shown me promise, so my worries of killing it have increased lol. When i do cut it, should i use cut paste? I cant remember if you kept it on there or removed it.

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Yeah i did read your post awhile back. Really helpful. I am going to chop it right about there. Ive done so much already and its shown me promise, so my worries of killing it have increased lol. When i do cut it, should i use cut paste? I cant remember if you kept it on there or removed it.
Cool; thanks.
I removed the cut paste on the advice of other members here, and I'm really glad I did. It would have probably smothered the bud that popped in the perfect place to help heal the chop and become the second branch. So, if you don't want/need buds at the chop site, cut paste is probably cool (but perhaps unnecessary). If you do want buds there, skip it.

benw3790

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Yeah, I would chop it there also.and then pick a bud and let it run wild for a while so you can develop a new leader. Keep rubbing off buds you know you dont want to keep as branches as this tree could swell up really easily with too many branches and also create knobby spots, which you dont want! Nice man keep It up! Update us through its progress anf im sure myself and others will be glad to help guide you. :)

Top Bottom