Follow Up Styling Video

Reaction score
Just posted up a New Video on my channel on YouTube.

This New Video picks up where the last one regarding a First Style of a Foemina Juniper, and Doing the Math, left off... Info regarding the Foemina Juniper can be found here
https://bonsainut.com/threads/where-to-begin-the-initial-style-of-material.26858/

This New Video discusses Designing Smartly... and shows how to design a tree around a Single Branch.
Enjoy!

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Thanks for your new tutorial.
This is my question.
Taking into account that junipers depend on their foliage (contrary to pines = roots) is it safe for the tree to remove all that % of foliage at once.
Will it survive? Or this is just a demonstration tree and you take that risk with its health?

Reaction score
Thanks for your new tutorial.
This is my question.
Taking into account that junipers depend on their foliage (contrary to pines = roots) is it safe for the tree to remove all that % of foliage at once.
Will it survive? Or this is just a demonstration tree and you take that risk with its health?
Was busy earlier and didn't have the chance to respond...

I thank you for your question... when working with any type of material really, the answer to your question would be... understanding the material, the health of the material, as well the current climate conditions and the time of year... and with Junipers they are no exception.

This tree is a Parsonii. They are very tough material as far as junipers are concerned... where as other types of Junipers, such as Shimpaku, at least in my climate... I would not do such drastic work on. The condition of the material was very healthy... it had obviously been some time since original work was done on the tree, seeing the amount of wire I found virtually embedded within the tree.

Heat and amount of sun are obviously going to play a role in after care... because now that I have opened up the tree, it will create dryer conditions within the foliage. So, for the first couple of weeks I would place the tree in partial sun, and make sure it receives a good amount of water.

If you were to do very severe bending, I would actually increase this amount of water even more for the first week or two.

The tree will most definitely survive... so no worries there! I did not go through the tree really and define any of the actually padding, just set major branching in place. To do so, would of required even more foliage having to be reduced and taken off... which at this stage serves no point.

The stage where this tree was currently at, was doing the first style. At this point, I am not concerned about foliage. I worry about foliage once I begin actually trying to refine the tree. Now I am only trying trying to resolve the trunk, resolve the basic composition of the tree, set the major branching... then let the tree recover as fast as it can.

Hope this answers your question!

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it and that you find them useful!

Reaction score
Wanted to thank everyone for the views of this video!

Almost 200 views in one day! Not too shabby!
Who is going to be the 200th?
Lol!

But seriously...
When I started doing these, I wasn't sure anyone would actually want to watch them... that really it was more of a means for me to just document what it was I was doing.
That perhaps, I would be able to use them as more of a resume, to see about getting more work doing demonstrations regarding bonsai, around the country. .. Or even the world... Hey, I'm not picky!
Lol!

So, I really appreciate the intrest in them, that everyone has shown!
I will keep pushing to do more of them, I promise!

Currently have 2 more in production, that I hope to have out very shortly!
Thanks again!

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Oh now I remember :)
I'd like to say that it's my first time to see on your videos the use of pliers for "moving" the wired branches into position!
All my experience with bonsai people working on wiring/setting branches was that the work is done using the hands. Until I saw you working on your videos.

Reaction score
Love the video @sawgrass

Would love to see that again once you re-pot it if you wouldn't mind taking some pics.

Top Bottom