Following your advice... here's my newest bonsai tree.

WSting

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hello again! Following the advice I was given in my previous post, I've chosen to move my juniper bonsai outdoors and have purchased a more indoor-friendly tree. I've taken in this ficus and have done a bit of wire work and canopy design. I'd love to get some thoughts from the community on whether (or not) I'm pointed in the right direction.

I'm looking forward to your feedback. The third picture was added simply because my 1-year old german shepherd, Ember, was keen to know what dad was doing outside on the bbq cover. ;)

image1.JPG image2.JPG image3.JPG

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Another nice wire job...

Though I think you can take more advantage of it.

You want to go for "compact"...
Leaving branches at the outside of curves.
Remember, New branches will sprout at the buds at the bases of leaves, so on your small branches...leave the leaves at the outside of bends too...

Don't be afraid to bend that wire!
These trees could take some abuse...
Even if you crack something, it likely won't die.

Give it hell...
Take advantage of that well placed wire!

Sorce

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I'm looking forward to your feedback.

Nice start. It does appear that you have your ficus in potting soil. This could lead to trouble with root rot. You need to think seriously about repotting in bonsai soil. Many use totally inorganic mixes. Also most of us more our tropicals out doors in the summer after temps are above 50f. If your tree has not been out doors you must not put it in direct sun, but shade or dappled sun until it adjusts to prevent burning the leaves. Good luck.

WSting

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
You want to go for "compact"...
Sorce

Thanks for the kind comment and suggestions! I've tightened up the branches and will seek to have a much more compact feel to the tree. I wish there was an easy way to post a panoramic photo of the tree... it seems like it would be easier than a handful of stills from various angles. I really appreciate the advice you've shared, it helps to have non-beginners provide some valuable direction.

WSting

WSting

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Nice start. It does appear that you have your ficus in potting soil.

DougB,
It's the potting material that was with the tree when I picked it up from the outlet (EasternLeaf.com); I've purchased a small bag of inorganic bonsai soil and can use it if you think what's there will cause the tree to die quickly.

WSting

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
DougB,
It's the potting material that was with the tree when I picked it up from the outlet (EasternLeaf.com); I've purchased a small bag of inorganic bonsai soil and can use it if you think what's there will cause the tree to die quickly.

WSting
I have purchased several trees from Eastern Leaf, as well as a bag of their bonsai soil. I noticed that the trees seemed to be in a different mix, than the soil purchased, and even questioned them about it. However, all of the trees I purchased from them are doing well, so I haven't reported them. One of them is the Natal Plum shown in another thread, and it is thriving, and I have had it for a year. The soil seems to drain well, I just check the wooden skewer in the soil to gauge the watering needs.

WSting

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Carol, I don't know anything about a wooden skewer in the soil; can you share some more info on that?

WSting

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Carol, I don't know anything about a wooden skewer in the soil; can you share some more info on that?

WSting
Actually got that advice here. I have some small wooden skewers I got when I thought I would make fancy fruit centerpieces, but you can use a wooden BBQ skewer, chopstick etc. Stick it half way between the trunk and pot and if it feels sort of dry water, if it's damp don't.

armetisius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey; that tree resembles a wax leaf privet. Did you know that?
Did you know that the privet is hardy in your hardiness zone
and literally grows like a weed? Would be a goodie to add to
your collection. Fun play with/learn on tree. Look it up then
go walking around in the shopping district. Look for a hedge.
Break off a twig. Did I mention they grow like a weed? They
also root like one too.
Like the little tree; the wiring is nicely done. Now get in there
and rattle some pots. As the season progresses cut some of
those "out there" tips. Age leaves signs on a tree--if you aren't
willing to rough them up every once in a while you should just stop.
There are enough serene park shrubs in this world already.

WSting

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Age leaves signs on a tree--if you aren't willing to rough them up every once in a while you should just stop.

Are you suggesting I remove all the leaves on some of the branches to force new growth? I'm not sure I'm comfortable defoliating a tree yet with hope that it will regrow its canopy... I still have far too much learning to do before I take to such drastic actions. Perhaps you have an example of a tree prior to similar "roughing up" and then aftershots of your work? I'm eager to learn, but I need some examples before I do it to my own trees.

WSting

armetisius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hit my blog, just chopped the shyte out of a fairly easy ficus to grow
and mad growth from everywhere. Get in there, as the new growth
starts to pop, and cut back to a twig closer in the canopy. Doesn't
take much to start the curves and bends that will be your tree's
future branches and they need to start as soon in its life as possible.

I would still suggest that you add something rapid growing and easy
to your plants. Being so concerned that I would even suggest you defoliate
a tree screams volumes of "this guy needs some plant confidence". Relax
and enjoy the growing/developing of a tree into a bonsai. You will kill a
tree; just like every one of us has and will again. You will also learn to deal
with that fact or quit bonsai; why? because it just happens along the way.
Find yourself something that is a weed tree to practice bending/wiring/pruning/etc.
on. As you see how plants respond to the shear you will be able to translate that
over onto your tree/trees. Good luck.

WSting

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hello again! Thanks for all the great advice! Thanks to this forum I now have my indoor bonsai setup in my office. You'll see that I have 3 ficus and 1 juniper basking in the Purple Reign light (upgraded to Apollo 6400k T5 bulbs). Thanks to Carol's advice I'm even using bamboo skewers to help me track soil moisture levels. Best I can tell, I probably have room for one more plant.

I've also gotten to know my local bonsai/orchid/indoor garden boutique and have been given some GREAT advice for our local climate.

Thanks again for helping me kick-start my newest hobby.

image.jpeg

WSting

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I'd put the Juniper outdoors in the shade ASAP.

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Which soilmix did you use, it looks compact or is that the top dressing?

WSting

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Which soilmix did you use, it looks compact or is that the top dressing?

The soil mix is what came with the plant from the distributor... it's rather compacted (as they all appear to be when I buy them). If you think I should change the mix, please let me know what you'd suggest.

WSting

WSting

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I'd put the Juniper outdoors in the shade ASAP.

Just a quick question... if the juniper were to remain indoors, how long before I should see if my configuration is killing it? days/weeks/months?

Top Bottom