Fonz's Black Pine contest entry

Reaction score
Side branch!! And grow light no idea. You might force an early spring if you want, but would let them rest a bit. Seems something to try out.

Fonz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
END OF YEAR 1 UPDATE:

So at the end of the 1st year it’s time to post an update.
I started with 72 cuttings and 150+ seedlings that I didn’t cut. From the 72 cuttings about 65 survived and from that 65 I will select the 20 best to continue in year 2.
From the other uncut seedlings I’ll probably keep 10 or so to grow further for other projects. The rest is for anyone who will have them…

Picture 1, The batch of 2018 seedlings. The cuttings are in the square pots in the back.

P1040875.JPG

Picture 2 & 3, one of seedling cuttings that grew out very dense. Notice the big but and 2 little buds waiting to explode once spring arrives. This one is a keeper.

P1040877.JPG

P1040882.JPG

Picture 4, a seedling cutting that produced a branch close to the base already. Another keeper.

P1040880.JPG

Picture 5, the trays with uncut seedlings. 10 are keepers, the rest, well… no idea.

P1040881.JPG

Next update, next year!

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
END OF YEAR 1 UPDATE:

So at the end of the 1st year it’s time to post an update.
I started with 72 cuttings and 150+ seedlings that I didn’t cut. From the 72 cuttings about 65 survived and from that 65 I will select the 20 best to continue in year 2.
From the other uncut seedlings I’ll probably keep 10 or so to grow further for other projects. The rest is for anyone who will have them…

Picture 1, The batch of 2018 seedlings. The cuttings are in the square pots in the back.

View attachment 221377

Picture 2 & 3, one of seedling cuttings that grew out very dense. Notice the big but and 2 little buds waiting to explode once spring arrives. This one is a keeper.

View attachment 221378

View attachment 221379

Picture 4, a seedling cutting that produced a branch close to the base already. Another keeper.

View attachment 221380

Picture 5, the trays with uncut seedlings. 10 are keepers, the rest, well… no idea.

View attachment 221381

Next update, next year!

I, too, have a lot of blue seedlings. Are they goners? Or just cold;)

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
mine are purple too guess they are alright, my junipers are purple too lol

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I just checked: frozen solid. Now they're green. When they're defrosted they turn back to their flaming yellow/orange/purple.
Anthiocyans cause the purple: an antioxidant.
Xanthophylls cause the yellow/orange: nearly the same function, preventing oxidative stress.

I'm not sure if they can handle these frosts very well, but they don't look worse than other hardy pines (longeava, banksiana, jrp). Except for scots pine, scots don't care.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I just checked: frozen solid. Now they're green. When they're defrosted they turn back to their flaming yellow/orange/purple.
Anthiocyans cause the purple: an antioxidant.
Xanthophylls cause the yellow/orange: nearly the same function, preventing oxidative stress.

I'm not sure if they can handle these frosts very well, but they don't look worse than other hardy pines (longeava, banksiana, jrp). Except for scots pine, scots don't care.

I noticed that spraying my squamata juniper with insectside turned the foliage to bright green instead of the regular blueish color :eek:

mugo doesnt bother our winters too
but even if the netherlands is so small where im at we had only one night frost so far average temps in my garden are still 10 °c :eek:

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
@defra your insecticide is oil based then? Or it contains a solvent like naphta. It tends to mix with the waxes on needled junipers. I noticed it too! With both neem oil and other oil based insecticides.
My mugo's are frozen solid for the 4th time this month. But it's +/-10°C here too on most days.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
@defra your insecticide is oil based then? Or it contains a solvent like naphta. It tends to mix with the waxes on needled junipers. I noticed it too! With both neem oil and other oil based insecticides.
My mugo's are frozen solid for the 4th time this month. But it's +/-10°C here too on most days.

Nope not oil based i think naptha(it was a bayer product)
i got schildluis wich i cant seem to get rid off
Is neem oil safe to use for all species?
I was thinking to order a bottle and use it as dormant spray but id like something aplyable to all my tree's because im lazy :p

Sorry fonz for making your thread filthy with this discussion ?

Fonz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Mine are all still alive and kicking. I just gave away 50 that I won't be using but still have about 90 left. 70 cuttings, the rest I din't cut the stem. Like the seedlings of other people that live in my area these aren't as huge as the seedlings from all you Californians etc...

Here's my main tray with cuttings, the row on the right are non-cuttings...:

P1050069.JPG

One of my better cuttings on the left, a non-cutting on the right:

P1050070.JPG

And a side project I started with non-cuttings, exposed root stuff:

P1050063.JPG

Fonz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Your trees look a lot more uniform than mine!
Maybe, but they are really small compared to others.
Anyway with the good weather these last 2 weeks they all woke up and candles started to extend. Here's the cutting from last picture but it's twice the size now. The full 11cm or 4.3" :p

P1050075.JPG

Fonz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have 4 with brown 1-year-old needles but the new shoots look green. Any reason for this?
1 of those 4 just dropped dead...

Here are 2 of them with a healty one on the left.
P1050091.JPG

This one is a goner :(
P1050092.JPG

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
4 with brown 1-year-old needles but the new shoots look green
Tip blight? Notice how even the needle tips of this year’s shoot are browning on the ones with dead previous year needles. Separate them from the healthy ones and follow the recommendations here:

Fonz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Mid-summer update!

After giving away and selling some I now have 77 saplings left. By the beginning of next year I want to get that number down to 35 (space issues when I repot them in pond baskets).

My nursery :p

P1050134.JPG

Some of the better ones. The black plastic pots are full stem cuttings, the ones in the red plastic pots just had their tap root cut, the clay one is the Mikawa variety with only the tap root cut. All are about 15-17cm (6-7 inches) in height.

P1050135.JPG

Fonz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice Fonz, what kind off fertilizer are you using?
mixed with a bit of sphagnum moss to keep it moist.

Top Bottom