Food/Fert Bougainvillea

Hump

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Gents,

Just got a couple pre-Bonsai Bougainvillea's in and can't wait to stick them in a bigger bucket with some organic crap 🙄 to nurse and thicken for a while. (to my understanding: nurse in organic, and once you're done nursing and you're happy with it place it in substrate and in bonsai pot home) This will be my first tree I nurse. I hate soil, but I understand it's cheaper to use than wasting my nice substrate.

My question for you guys-
What food and Fert do you have experience with and can recommend? I have dyna gro foliage and bonsai pro, but want something with some Phos funk to get this puppy singing.

I found: Flower Fuel (1, 34,32) ( This one has me interested, but Is this just for canabis?) ; Crepe myrtle plant food (8, 55, 7) ;and BR-61 Plant food ( 9,58, 8). I also checked out bio gold as I've read its great, and I know dyna bloom has great reviews.

Sorry, not intending on stating a fert/food war, just want some advise.

Thanks,

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200810-162826_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20200810-162826_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 3

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
(to my understanding: nurse in organic, and once you're done nursing and you're happy with it place it in substrate and in bonsai pot home
I'm not sure what you mean by nursing, unless they are sickly. Or do you mean to grow out, I know Wigert's uses soil conditioner in their nursery pots. I use Bougain ferilizer for my bougainvilleas.

Hump

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm sorry, yes I just mean to grow out. With the first two trees I purchased I immediately placed them in bonsai pots with substrate and thought OK cool. But after diving into this, I realize the fun is really in cultivating your tree, thickening the trunk, slow but rewarding progression, root and tree training and more before calling it a finished product.

Hump

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

It’s specifically for bougainvilleas.
Thank you I just looked it up. Now just trying to figure out what size pumice to use in a 2 gallon pot. I have a bunch of 1/8 to 1/4 laying around, but thinking maybe 1/4 to 1/2 might be better fit. I don't normally grow in this large a container so a little unsure.

Top Bottom