Foot position on a round pot

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have a lovely round pot that I will be using with a schefflera that is currently in a cracking plastic trainer. David at Fuku bonsai suggested this one be repotted into a wide round shallow and this pot fits the bill.

Here is a look at the pot:
IMG_20191206_171217.jpg

IMG_20191206_171251.jpg

I'm wondering though, on the position of the feet. What do you all think looks better as a front to this pot?

Gap in front:

IMG_20191206_171155.jpg

Gap to sides:
IMG_20191206_171202.jpg

Tree and pot together:
IMG_20191206_171555.jpg

I aim to lift and reposition the tree which should result in a bit wider root flair at the bottom. During the summer when it is outside the canopy will be allowed to grow a bit thicker - I don't let it get much bigger than this in the winter due to space issues.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You should be able to set it in and have a look, then rotate it the 90 if need be.

For me ....

A small foot in the front makes a composition more uneasy.

This pot doesn't really offer that uneasiness, it seems stable from both sides.

But....

There will be a better looking front, the difference will be subtle and likely only found on person.

Right now ...that triangle of negative space within the roots may be made worse by the space in front. Like, it and the space are close in size so they will bring attention to each other. I guess that can be good or bad!

Though looking at that makes me want to move that good front ariel left some. Rather than moving in toward the main trunk.

With one foot forward, it seems stable, but that tree is so right heavy, and low strong, it may feel a wee bit tippy with the spaces on the side. But I doubt it.

Sorce

Reaction score
I know nothing about schefflera and what the growing requirements are, but that pot seems overly large for your tree design. Unless you plan on letting the canopy grow bigger I'd get a smaller pot, maybe an oval. If you pot it up in this one however I'd go with the foot in front as Zach says.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Well, I completely forgot about this thread and potted the opposite way suggested haha. I'll correct it next time I repot. Regardless, I like the new front and I'm happy with the tree/pot combo.

00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200528112401835_COVER.jpg

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Right now ...that triangle of negative space within the roots may be made worse by the space in front. Like, it and the space are close in size so they will bring attention to each other. I guess that can be good or bad!

Sorce
Good point on that triangle of negative space....as planted it doesn’t seem to show as much anymore....the space looks sort of complimentary right now. Cool.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I agree.

Don't think there's anything to "correct".

Booty in Face!

Great tree angle.

So much more interesting!

Sorce

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It’s an aesthetic consideration. One foot in front gives a lighter, more delicate feel. Two feet with a gap gives a more solid, stable feel. It depends entirely on what kind of base the composition needs, so you have to look at the whole picture. In any case, @Tentakelaertje was right, the pot is too big for this tree, unless you’re planning on a much bigger canopy.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Either choice of using a foot squarely in front, or the gap squarely in front is OK. What you don't want is a "can't decide which" in-between foot/gap at the front.
Agreed, and I’d add the gap up front suggests stability because you see both feet. One foot up front suggests a more tenuous footing, which I may prefer for this tree. Though the foot is really wide, so it’s a bit blocky either way.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks for the feedback! A little more info on the pot - so this was the size and shape of pot suggested to me by Dave at Fuku to use when repotting. We had corresponded a bit by email regarding the future of the tree once I received it. I do plan on letting the canopy grow out a bit and in the meantime, I will keep an eye out if something appropriately smaller comes along. For now though, I shall enjoy.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For this pot I feel placing to the sides. Most of my pots have 3 feet but some have 4 like yours. Just my view but do what pleases you.
I think the pot is perfect considering future growth.

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I like the way you planted it with the gap forward... adds depth.
Looks great!

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think the way it is planted looks awkward and my eye goes first to the gap and them to the tree. It is distracting.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I like what you’ve done. The tree will grow into the pot. And, you like it....that’s what really counts. If it were me I probably would have positioned the tree, same view you have, but moved a bit to the left. When you repot someday you can further explore a more left, rotation or other moved position. That’s the interesting part of a repotting. I particularly like the coloration of the pot...I like the blue tone lower base and the brown tone upper section. It’s not common. It works well with the tree texturaly. Nice complimentary colors. In the meantime....just enjoy this. You’ve done well.

Top Bottom