for all of us DE fans......

Rodrigo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I really enjoyed this stream, good discussion on soils importance in the pot! I dig those two rock type pots he showed as well.
I agree! Also the fact that he's going to be switching all of his trees to DE is definitely reassuring.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's not true. I don't remember him saying that.
Aye.
"Doing a lot of EXPERIMENTING with DE"
Yes?

My guess is this means as a mix with the other "big 2"..singly, etc....

Sorce

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I really can't picture Ryan driving down to his local NAPA store to pick up a few bags of #8822. I picture him haggling with a couple of Sherpa guides from Nepal who have hauled the stuff down from the mountains on their backs...........by moonlight................. on a leap year. LOL! The story, man.........ya hafta have a story.

Rodrigo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
That's not true. I don't remember him saying that.
If you go back and watch it, at 36:35 he says "what are we doing at Mirai? We're doing a lot of experimentation on DE knowing that at some point Akadama is not what we're going to be utilizing." quoted that word for word from the video. He later goes on to say that his supply of Akadama is drying up. That's why he's doing tests on DE, to then in the future switch his trees over.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was also curious about the difference between turface, and DE. I thought they were a very similar product, but he mentioned DE being porous. I have used optisorb, and it didn't strike me as porous at all.

Steve21

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was also curious about the difference between turface, and DE. I thought they were a very similar product, but he mentioned DE being porous. I have used optisorb, and it didn't strike me as porous at all.
Found his comments on Turface interesting also, he made a good distinction saying DE absorbs then makes H2O available for the tree, where Turface absorbs and isn’t as good at releasing.

Gary McCarthy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If you go back and watch it, at 36:35 he says "what are we doing at Mirai? We're doing a lot of experimentation on DE knowing that at some point Akadama is not what we're going to be utilizing." quoted that word for word from the video. He later goes on to say that his supply of Akadama is drying up. That's why he's doing tests on DE, to then in the future switch his trees over.

This is true. I "heard" that.

I guess maybe we're mincing words a little bit. While he's testing DE in the hopes that at some point it may be a replacement for AK at no point does he say definitively that once his AK supply is exhausted that he will be switching 100% of his trees over to just DE.

It's my impression listening to Ryan talk about AK and DE that while DE may be a good replacement for AK it still is not as good as AK. I think Ryan will be using AK as long as he possibly can. I don't think AK is going to disappear from the market any time soon.

Gary McCarthy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I don't remember Ryan saying where he is getting his DE, does anyone have an idea? I was curious if he is using a different source, than Sorce.
He did make a point of saying he's testing a "horticultural grade" of DE. On his next Q&A I was going to ask him if there's a significant difference between horticultural grade and the DE that is used as an oil absorbent that most of us are getting from NAPA or in my case Optisorb from FASTENAL.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
He did make a point of saying he's testing a "horticultural grade" of DE. On his next Q&A I was going to ask him if there's a significant difference between horticultural grade and the DE that is used as an oil absorbent that most of us are getting from NAPA or in my case Optisorb from FASTENAL.

You are the Gary with the questions?

Kendall, "Gary has a question Online"

Misquote everybody !

Sorce

jriddell88

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Interesting , akadama is hard for me to get , and is a bit pricey with only a couple sources I know of to get it from . I do use it though

Top Bottom