For anyone having a bad day.

ArtistWolf

Mame
Reaction score
One of my favorite bonsai was punted so hard today that it was literally knocked right out of its pot. And that was not the worst part. To get started here, by punted, I mean a guest (a 6'5 apparently blind visitor that I did not invite btw) absentmindedly kicked my rhodedendron bonsai. Now, you might be thinking several things at this moment... Such as 'who punts a poor innocent plant?' or 'why was your tree so loose in the pot that it flew right out of it?'. I can only say that there has been record breaking rainfall here in western Washington which means a deluge every other day for three months. The soil was basically mud, as is the substrate in the entire locale. Ok, not too bad, right? Just put it back in, no harm done. Wrong. The contact point of guests' foot was not the pot. Explaining why the 5$ pot remained in tact. Wonderful... So my plant took the full force of this dude's shoe. Ok, so a few branches are snapped, not impossible to restore, right? Wrong again. All branches of the brittle Rhodie are intact. So what took the blow? The trunk. Of course. I can't bear to go on. All I can say is that it looks like someone took a baseball bat to it. The gash is ghastly ugly and deep. Maybe it will look okay in 10 years. I'm in no hurry. Also, it took me almost 24 hours to notice the wound so I lost a lot of time in applying sealant. Hence the title of this post. Anyway, life happens!

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
One of my favorite bonsai was punted so hard today that it was literally knocked right out of its pot. And that was not the worst part. To get started here, by punted, I mean a guest (a 6'5 apparently blind visitor that I did not invite btw) absentmindedly kicked my rhodedendron bonsai. Now, you might be thinking several things at this moment... Such as 'who punts a poor innocent plant?' or 'why was your tree so loose in the pot that it flew right out of it?'. I can only say that there has been record breaking rainfall here in western Washington which means a deluge every other day for three months. The soil was basically mud, as is the substrate in the entire locale. Ok, not too bad, right? Just put it back in, no harm done. Wrong. The contact point of guests' foot was not the pot. Explaining why the 5$ pot remained in tact. Wonderful... So my plant took the full force of this dude's shoe. Ok, so a few branches are snapped, not impossible to restore, right? Wrong again. All branches of the brittle Rhodie are intact. So what took the blow? The trunk. Of course. I can't bear to go on. All I can say is that it looks like someone took a baseball bat to it. The gash is ghastly ugly and deep. Maybe it will look okay in 10 years. I'm in no hurry. Also, it took me almost 24 hours to notice the wound so I lost a lot of time in applying sealant. Hence the title of this post. Anyway, life happens!

Ouch... All I can say is your attitude comes across as very peaceful and chill about it on here. While that may not be fully accurate, good on you for putting life in perspective. Sorry about your tree. :(

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
People apply Shari and URO's and such for added character. So maybe no real harm to be had once it starts the healing over process. He may have aged it in looks by a few years. Sometimes hiccups and misfortunes add more to the tree than before. Of course not seeing it. But...I'm sure some can relate to misfortune.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry for the damage....as an offer of a bit of levity, I have so many things going on right now I put on two belts when I got dressed yesterday and did not realize it until I got home from work that nighto_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Should a let him catch a bite in the Ass!

Sorce

ArtistWolf

Mame
Reaction score
Last summer I kept all of my bonsai in the security of a foldable metal pet play pen. Those things are handy for oh so many reasons. Toddlers, puppies and of course bonsai. Yes, I kept my human offspring behind metal bars. While I trained an animal. Then rotated. :)

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
In an embarrassing fit of rage, I kicked a rubber tree houseplant some years back and it spurred it into action and has grown well since then. Maybe you'll have the same luck.
CW

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
IMG_20170203_114023904.jpg IMG_20170203_120055761.jpg IMG_20170203_120055761.jpg I like your attitude. Let me post a few pics of what my yard guy did. Nothing as drastic as yours though.

Attachments

• IMG_20170203_113957972.jpg
    IMG_20170203_113957972.jpg
    496.9 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think azaleas and deadwood do not work together. I feel your pain.

Two weeks ago my wife's ugly plant standing in the corner decided to fall down on other house plant - Eugenia myrtifolia. Uprooted, broken and damaged I repotted here, removed broken branches and wired her...look, the sun rises every morning.
IMAG1160.jpg

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
If you need an azalea replacement, I have a ton of them- let me know what you are looking for, I can work you a special discount in light if the circumstances.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I will probably regret saying this but I've been on the shit list before. We live in an entitlement society today and with all due respect to those with handicaps, being handicapped does not give you the right to live with impunity. You do not have the right to go blundering about on other people's property without assistance, especially if visually impaired aka blind and un-invited, and destroying anything and everything that gets in your way. The obstacle to him may have easily been a small child. Sorry----I am now considered 90% disabled because of Viet Nam and I don't have the right to run-o-muc anywhere I please.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry----I am now considered 90% disabled because of Viet Nam and I don't have the right to run-o-muc anywhere I please
If you ever come up here we can turn you loose in the yard and you can't hurt a thing.
Lots of room to stagger around and kick whatever you want.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I think azaleas and deadwood do not work together.

View attachment 143116

I get ones saying that...honestly I do. But, I sort of liked it. Got it from Don Blackmond. Not for everyone though.
image.jpg

This looks like it also may have some.
image.jpg

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Deadwood on azaleas really doesn't bother me. There's only link to always seal wounds we can hear from azalea growers in my mind.

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pics please

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
You sure that isn't from possible varmint chewing? Seems peculiar to have that much damage from a kick across the lawn. Maybe just went undetected from previous times? I think it will add age to the tree once it heals. Honestly I do...cool base by the way. From what I see of it.

Top Bottom