For my first post!

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Well I had a good laugh, but this guy means well, but don't waste you time doing what he did to the poor little juniper. There are a lot better demo's on green mounds that this one. Hang in there and you will love this hobby, just listen to the right people.

keep it green,
Harry

Daysleeper

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Well he has an entertaining personality. p.s: Welcome to the community. Be sure to search older posts from Walter Pall, Brent, Willh (esp his myth debunking threads)and greerhw. This is a goldmine of no BS information and tips you won't find in any book.

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi and Welcome,

I've seen that guy on youtube before. Well, I did chuckle to myself when I saw how he was mashing that juny's roots into that hideous pot. But, I was reminded by someone at my club that sphagnum moss is a natural anti-fungal agent and promotes root growth; so there's at least something positive about his methods. But I wouldn't use it as the sole potting medium for my trees, no way.

Ryan

Daysleeper

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Isn't this the guy that died of breathing in the moss? Not trying to spread rumors but I think this is the guy?

wait, what? you can die fromasirating moss? Do you have a link to the story behind that? I'm scared ;/

Just Duane

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No, thats not the guy that died from sphagnum moss, it was BRIAN BATCHELDER whom supposedly died from it. I can't say for sure that is what he died from, i'm just passing on a link to this story http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7xIlOXuY0o

Wear gloves & a mask when working with the dry sphagnum moss is the message.
Hope that helps.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Jeez, this guy is a hack. This "easy new" method of bonsai is possible only in tropical or subtropical locales. Anywhere North of Zone 8 or 9, this "method" is a death sentence--and done in the manner shown here, most likely deadly in those Zones.

Also, if you're using long fibered sphagnum moss, use gloves. There is a small possibility of contracting sporotrichosis

http://www.cdc.gov/nczved/dfbmd/disease_listing/sporotrichosis_gi.html

Brian Batchelder, who pioneered the use of sphagnum moss as growth media for bonsai, apparently died from an acute, but rare form of the disease in his lungs from breathing sphagnum moss dust over a long period of time (or at least that's the theory).

Reaction score
USDA Zone
All things have dangers, but keep in mind that sphagnum moss was once used as bandages and diapers.

Error on the side of caution, always.

As to the video, it should be titled, Mallsai creation for the masses, or how to kill your tree in three easy steps.

Will

grizzlywon

Shohin
Reaction score
Fresno, CA. Were all the food comes from if we ha
USDA Zone
9A
I don't know about him being a hack, but at least he is spending his time educating people on the art of bonsai, (even if it is a method that will only work in climates like his).

He does have some nice trees and gets enjoyment out of it just like we do, so as far as I'm concerned he's on our team.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"I don't know about him being a hack, but at least he is spending his time educating people on the art of bonsai, (even if it is a method that will only work in climates like his)."

The road to hell is paved with good intentions. His heart might lie in the right place, or, more likely, his ego, but this video is an exercise in "how not to repot a tree." He is not really helping as much as showing off for the unknoledgeable--his method is far from "New" and it is certainly not revolutionary. Batchelder was doing this better a decade ago. Peter Chan outlines a similar treatment in some of his books as a way to reinvigorate a flagging tree--plant it in sphagnum moss for a year and roots can be revivived (he recommends getting the tree back into bonsai soil once it's growing well, however)

Virtually everything this guy does, from not trimming the root ball enough, stuffing the tangled mess into a pot that's vastly too small, then stuffing sphagnum moss into the gaps, is wrong and if followed by other novices in temperate zones (and probably tropical zones as well) it will KILL trees.

I have no problem with "how to" videos, as long as the person showing you how to, actually KNOWS HOW TO.

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I pretty much agree with rockm... I hate it when people try and do stuff like this which will ultimately lead to turning newcomers off of bonsai... his intentions may be good but not much good will come from it...

At least he's not trying to make money off of it.

For a second I thought it was this guy:

http://www.bonsaigardener.org/index2.html?hop=cbank83706

who really pisses me off... totally taking advantage of the layperson... which is really easy to do with bonsai because, to a beginner looking at world-class trees, it really seems mysterious and almost magical...

Klytus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Overheard whilst perusing strangely contorted leafy stumps in the houseplant department of the hardware store,"Ooh,Bonsai...i've always wanted a Bonsai".

Suggesting she aspired to better seemed rude.

grizzlywon

Shohin
Reaction score
Fresno, CA. Were all the food comes from if we ha
USDA Zone
9A
I pretty much agree with rockm... I hate it when people try and do stuff like this which will ultimately lead to turning newcomers off of bonsai... his intentions may be good but not much good will come from it...

At least he's not trying to make money off of it.

For a second I thought it was this guy:

http://www.bonsaigardener.org/index2.html?hop=cbank83706

who really pisses me off... totally taking advantage of the layperson... which is really easy to do with bonsai because, to a beginner looking at world-class trees, it really seems mysterious and almost magical...

I posted a question about this guy and his system on BT and got no responses. I guess that should have been my first hint.

But who doesn't want to learn "Step Secrets the Bonsai Masters Use?"

Anybody paid this guy?

Mike Page

Mame
Reaction score
I saw this same crap years ago. I'm amazed it's still around. As Barnun said, "theres a sucker born every minute".

Top Bottom