For northerners...when to repot junipers

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Okay...did I miss my opportunity to repot these hand me down junipers? Or can I do it at the end of winter when spring is about to arrive. Thinking the roots need protected.(was told by one they did... But...another here said he has had no issues with the roots and repotted during winter.) So...wanting to get a full grasp. Since the trees I will be repotting are a friend's late brother in laws trees.

I read February is the right time...but the nursery was in Florida where I got that information. So that I am taking into consideration. And wish to make sure where I stand.

They are thriving in the potting soil they came in...but, we all know it's not ideal. But it is what it is.

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I can't awnser that, ghehe. I think when the needles start popping / growing (right before that).

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Well...we leave June 1st. So maybe before then. We don't arrive back until June 14th. So...then it's always crazy getting things caught up.

Thanks guys...I knew when they arrived it was to late to do a repot. After summer for sure.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm pretty sure "a little late, is better than, a little early" is pretty sound all around advice too.

Me...I'm stuck on the moon. For real.

Here is your June.QuickMemo+_2016-02-06-10-54-32.png
If you can repot it before the 17th, that would be good. You'll be waning till the New moon on the 20th.QuickMemo+_2016-02-06-10-51-26.png
Personally, I'd sit down with it to unwind maybe the night after you get back.
That gives you 5 good days for root growth before the new moon, when the top will want to work harder.
http://www.timeanddate.com/moon/phases/usa/columbus
http://www.timeanddate.com/moon/usa/columbus

I Believe.
http://www.bonsainut.com/threads/root-talk.20606/

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The full moon... @sorce that is something new I've not heard.

It all started, well, it started at BSG with Owen....and that's when the fish came out too I think....
Anyway....here, it all started that morning I was chasing you around about roots, sans creepy music.....

Now, And I look everyday, everytime I see roots, I look it up, and it's ALWAYS a waning moon phase....

I simply can't discount it as coincidence.

Sorce

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Cypress is right, best is at/before the time the tree wakens up. Second best time is late summer/early fall...IF you can provide adeq. winter protection.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I guess a good "further" would go.....

I think within the "spring" or "summer" or "fall" repotting, has another timing key, which is the moon.

I would love It.....if People went back, found some pics and dates of repotted stuff, look up the moon phase, and start sharing.....
I'll bet all the successes and failures, that do not hinge on other mistakes, line up with the moon.

Collections too.

Sorce

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Alot of grape growers for winery's go by the loner calendar for when to pick.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Cypress is right, best is at/before the time the tree wakens up. Second best time is late summer/early fall...IF you can provide adeq. winter protection.
That's not a problem...I can do it end of winter going into spring. When our days occasionally get warm. I can just bump the heat in the greenhouse. Knowing whey it's starting to wake up...conifers are so new to me. I guess look for growth...just don't want to do it now...and need to protect it when I have others which need a good dormant period.

Thanks!

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Let the tree tell you when to repot.

In general, you want the air temperature to be on the warm side. Don't let the tree languish after repotting by doing it too early. And we want to catch the tree before it has pushed new growth - ideally, before the tips move. In northern climates, watch for the bronzing to change to green. When they start to green up after winter it is time. Active foliage growth and you're are a bit too late. Elongation and you're way too late.

S

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
@markyscott Interesting. Even among the same cultivars, I notice some have begun to turn green earlier than the others. Their in the same sunny location too.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Markyscott gave you good advice. I have learned the hard way, don't do anything else the year you repot. Give them time to recover. I am between Chicago and Milwaukee, also zone 5b. I have repotted successfully in late April, early May, before or just as new growth gets going,

I have also repotted in late June after the most tender growth has hardened off a bit, July, August and September. If I repot after August 30, I give extra protection for the winter. They are pretty forgiving, especially if you did not do any heavy pruning the 6 months or so before repotting and don't do heavy pruning for at least one growing season afterwards.

That is a conservative approach, if your after care is excellent, you might get away with more, but I found it best for me if I don't try to do too much in one season.

Top Bottom