For Shito and Giggles

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
So here are some (currently) shito just for fun trees. Post'em if you got em! If not, try some! They are fun!

First up a Texas Ebony in a round pot (sorry slightly off center) unknown maker. First as it was in a 3" pot,
IMG_20180807_215624974_HDR.jpg IMG_20180807_215730502_HDR.jpg

then as I potted it
IMG_20180807_230125710_HDR.jpg IMG_20180807_230406769_HDR.jpg IMG_20180807_230313183_HDR.jpg

and finally as it is now. I am wanting to do a South African style. as it sits now it's 1 3/8" tall and 3/8" caliper. However there is a nice swelling buried that would give an extra 1/4" (at least) caliper. I have nicked the trunk and added rooting hormone in the hopes that I get roots. I left stubs at the chop points to accommodate for die back they will be removed later.
IMG_20180808_155810031.jpg IMG_20180808_155733823.jpg

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Please post your little ones (fun and serious) I love the little fellas! If you don't have any try some!
Do pots that size have drainage holes? Or a drainage hole? I can buy loose Chinese tea cups (about the size of a shot glass). I’m sure I can find something to put in there.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do pots that size have drainage holes? Or a drainage hole? I can buy loose Chinese tea cups (about the size of a shot glass). I’m sure I can find something to put in there.
They do.
Get a little pot from Sorce.
He has some.
I saw them.

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They do.
Get a little pot from Sorce.
He has some.
I saw them.
@sorce isnt here, I checked under the bed and everything.
Anyways, here we go. For 1.80元 or less than 30 American cents, I got this little blue tea cup
@milehigh_7 that looked like a Chinese wu jiao coin in your pic, so I also posted one for scale. Sorry for the indoor light, but I’ve got heavy rain here today, so it’s getting dark quick.
D4DF2C4F-A5D4-48E3-AB7B-9535C73F5AFB.jpeg
It’s a bit rough, I know. Gonna need some guidance how to prune and shape something this small.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot

I don't know, this has a ratio of 4.13 : 1.13 even without the swelling that's under the soil. It also has taper. We shall see if it lives. :) Yes the pots must have holes just like a full size pot.

sparklemotion

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
My tiniest tree ...

Some questions, JWI, since I have a couple of p. afra's in similar sized pots:
1. How long has it been in a pot this small?
2. Did it have the current first branch (left) when it went into the tiny pot?
3. Were either of the trunk and/or first branch woody when it went into the tiny pot or were they still green?

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
3. Were either of the trunk and/or first branch woody when it went into the tiny pot or were they still green?

So, this has been in this pot for this year only...so far.
It has only grown several leaves since the repotting, the trunk and branches were already woody when it was removed from my other P.Afra as a cutting (it was making a bar branch that I didn't like).
I rooted it in the same pot at the parent tree, and repotted early this summer.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Here's the thread its from...
https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/little-spekboom-then-and-now.29921/

sparklemotion

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Thanks! it seems like it's put on more leaves than I would have expected over 6 weeks. That gives me hope for my little ones in little pots (though I do think that larger cuttings will be more satisfying in that respect).
No prob!
I was kinda surprised too, looking back...I forgot that the first branch was cut back so far...
They are a fun species...
I gotta figure out a spot to keep them this winter, in my new place ?

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
how often do we prune these things? and how do we keep a thousand branches from popping out wherever you cut it?

Top Bottom