Dabbler

Shohin
Reaction score
I would have a field day just to pick one of those ume - I have a hard time find them and only have a hybrid one

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
You wrap the whole scion too, that s a cool tip. Never thought about doing that!
From my grafting adventures, I've learned that if water enters the graft it will fail. Same as prolonged contact with air as the cambium, phloem, xylem layers will oxidize within seconds once cut. Wrapping the scion helps prevent it from drying out in the winter and keeps the graft dry and air tight.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
One other effective step is to seal the graft with latex caulk between turns of grafting tape. This particularly effective at the top edge of the graft where moisture is more likely to seep in. here is a picture of a product that I have found effective. it is thick emoting to seal well without migrating into the graft site and stays flexible, providing and airtight and watertight seal. Picture below. If selecting a local product look for a basic latex caulk. would avoid those with extra additives.Mine was purchased in Japan years ago. Keep it tightly sealed and it will last for many years. I have been using this tube since 2015. I do
a fair amount of grafting.
IMG_2534.jpeg

SeanS

Omono
Reaction score
Johannesburg, South Africa (SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE)
USDA Zone
9b
Ume layer separated this afternoon. Double white flowers. Took an age to root (compared to something like a Japanese maple) but once it got going it really put out some good roots. I was struggling to keep the layer watered enough, it was using a lot of water now in our late summer.

IMG_8940.jpeg
IMG_8941.jpeg
IMG_8942.jpeg

SeanS

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Very large ume cutting. This was another layer on one of my ume in my grow bed that just wasn’t going much besides producing callous, I needed to get it off the parent tree due to thickening on a part of the tree that I didn’t want to thicken anymore. I cut it off, potted it up and covered it with a plastic bag. I’ve hardly paid it any attention besides the occasions de-bagging to splash some water on it. Last week I decided to dump some of the soil out and was pleasantly with what I found!

IMG_8946.jpeg
IMG_8947.jpeg

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Very large ume cutting. This was another layer on one of my ume in my grow bed that just wasn’t going much besides producing callous, I needed to get it off the parent tree due to thickening on a part of the tree that I didn’t want to thicken anymore. I cut it off, potted it up and covered it with a plastic bag. I’ve hardly paid it any attention besides the occasions de-bagging to splash some water on it. Last week I decided to dump some of the soil out and was pleasantly with what I found!

View attachment 530098
View attachment 530099
Well done. Patience, maintain humidity, and if you think of it ( with leaves present) foliar fertilization no more than once a week, rinse the next day to prevent build up on leaves. I am continually amazed how patience can be rewarded with plants. Seeds germinating the following year, it is still green so wait and see.

SeanS

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
@SeanS on average, how long do these take to layer?
Quite long compared to something like a Japanese maple. I can’t remember exactly when I started these but I’d guess it’s been around 12 weeks.

Here’s the tree the 2 layers above have come off of. Next spring I’d like to chop most of it off and start working on the future tree.

IMG_9017.jpegIMG_9018.jpeg

IMG_9019.jpeg

September 2023

IMG_9021.jpeg

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Looks like some grafts took and have already started pushing out some growth. I'm hoping by summer the grafts have healed to the point that I can cut the rootstock back to the union.

20240312_184647.jpg20240312_184659.jpg20240312_184817.jpg20240312_184836.jpg

Top Bottom