Canada Bonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
Aren’t you in Maryland?

It looks like the material you're working with is dormant?

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
this is great information. are you using root hormone gel? clonex. i may ask you for a piece of the stock you have to graft onto mine as i am looking to turn the tree i have into multi flower colors :) i can also share mine once we figure out what variant i have if your interested.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
this is great information. are you using root hormone gel? clonex. i may ask you for a piece of the stock you have to graft onto mine as i am looking to turn the tree i have into multi flower colors :) i can also share mine once we figure out what variant i have if your interested.
No hormone is needed/required. You just have to graft at the correct time of the year.

Sure we can trade, but first I need to get them to bloom so I can document the flowers. If you plan to graft multiple colors onto your tree it would be best to match the flower type. I think it would look off if you have different colored flowers and different flower types.

I think 'Rosemary Clarke' would be a white variety that will look good with your pink. I think your mume could be 'Peggy Clarke'? But at this point unless the seller can tell you for sure, you will really never know.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
No hormone is needed/required. You just have to graft at the correct time of the year.

Sure we can trade, but first I need to get them to bloom so I can document the flowers. If you plan to graft multiple colors onto your tree it would be best to match the flower type. I think it would look off if you have different colored flowers and different flower types.

I think 'Rosemary Clarke' would be a white variety that will look good with your pink. I think your mume could be 'Peggy Clarke'? But at this point unless the seller can tell you for sure, you will really never know.
I did ask several times but got no response. But let’s see if she even flowers this year and we can take it from there. I can’t wait to see your creativity come to life.
michael

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Wow after several tries the seller just got back to me.
says Peggy Clarke

now I am super happy

michael
DECCDA00-A03A-4228-BE95-31B096B9FEF0.jpeg

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Wow after several tries the seller just got back to me.
says Peggy Clarke

now I am super happy

michael
View attachment 397585
@Trueblackpercula......seedlings of 'Peggy Clarke'......but yours is not 'Peggy Clarke'.

You basically have a plain Prunus mume that has the characteristics of 'Peggy Clarke'. There is only one 'Peggy Clarke' cultivar. All the 'Peggy Clarke' you see out in the public are clones of the the original that W.B. Clarke imported from Japan back in the 1920's, which he named after his daughter.

Also keep in mind that if yours was grown from seed it can take a decade or more for it to mature enough to bloom.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@Trueblackpercula......seedlings of 'Peggy Clarke'......but yours is not 'Peggy Clarke'.

You basically have a plain Prunus mume that has the characteristics of 'Peggy Clarke'. There is only one 'Peggy Clarke' cultivar. All the 'Peggy Clarke' you see out in the public are clones of the the original that W.B. Clarke imported from Japan back in the 1920's, which he named after his daughter.

Also keep in mind that if yours was grown from seed it can take a decade or more for it to mature enough to bloom.
Understood. Only time will tell if she will flower this season but I have doubts. I am not understanding what he sent me because when first bought I was told air layered but some have told me it looked graffitied. I don’t want to take away from your tread. I will send you a PM

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
With winter quickly approaching what are your plans to protect it? The tree will be dormant real soon
All the grafted trees will be in the hoop house over winter. This is more of an experiment, you'd be surprised how warm it is in the hoop house in the middle of the winter. I don't believe this one will have any issues, but we'll see soon enough.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
His mume crop fails almost every year producing only a small amount.
I think It should be noted that in his previous location he had greater success ( better propagation facility). The latest move ( several years ago ) had several benefits but infrastructure for propagation of mume was not one of them. I think he does remarkably well given the circumstances.
The more I work with Mume, the more I respect those who have had some success. It takes a fair bit of effort, investment and perseverance.
But then Bonsai tends to be attention to detail, and that certainly describes propagation of more difficult species.
Thanks for documenting your work with scion and bud grafting mume.
Many who have become expert at grafting and creating outstanding bonsai through grafts seem to agree that the amount of time and work rarely matches the return on investment. Now, for the sense of satisfaction, learning and accomplishment that is another story.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I think It should be noted that in his previous location he had greater success ( better propagation facility). The latest move ( several years ago ) had several benefits but infrastructure for propagation of mume was not one of them. I think he does remarkably well given the circumstances.
The more I work with Mume, the more I respect those who have had some success. It takes a fair bit of effort, investment and perseverance.
But then Bonsai tends to be attention to detail, and that certainly describes propagation of more difficult species.
Thanks for documenting your work with scion and bud grafting mume.
Many who have become expert at grafting and creating outstanding bonsai through grafts seem to agree that the amount of time and work rarely matches the return on investment. Now, for the sense of satisfaction, learning and accomplishment that is another story.
Thanks, I'm always learning and if people can learn from my experiments I'm happy with that.

Tomorrow I'll post a pic of the bud graft I forced to break. It's grown quite a bit since the last pic.

Top Bottom