Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Depends on what I'm growing.

In this 7gal squat...... peat(2) sand(1) vermiculite(1) mixed with pine bark mulch 50/50.

It's then topped off with 1" layer of mulch to keep the weeds down.
Thanks to cold here for mume but I play with several other prunus just planted some seeds I’m very curious about . Plant growing in planters outside office buildings zone 4 tight ramification small fruit have not seen flowers as I found them late winter. Everything about them says prunus except the leaves are only about 1 inch long 🤷‍♂️ But I love your thread you have some amazing cultivars 👍👍

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks to cold here for mume but I play with several other prunus just planted some seeds I’m very curious about . Plant growing in planters outside office buildings zone 4 tight ramification small fruit have not seen flowers as I found them late winter. Everything about them says prunus except the leaves are only about 1 inch long 🤷‍♂️ But I love your thread you have some amazing cultivars 👍👍
Thanks! I'm on a mission to collect as many different cultivars as I can.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks! I'm on a mission to collect as many different cultivars as I can.
I would be very interested in anything you have to say especially about medium and pest / disease control . In my world prunus mume and JWP are are the most amazing bonsai some of each in Japan are just breathtaking

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Planted up these 'Kanko-bai' cuttings yesterday. I felt comfortable enough with the amount of callous they produced. Hopefully they will root within the next month or so.

View attachment 438377View attachment 438378
Is that old school technology on the tops for sealant? It looks like wax. Possibly wood glue. The callus formation is looking even across the various sizes, that is great. What length of time did you keep them in cold storage?

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This is a group of " Kobai " they are now reaching the stage where I like to add some movement in the trunk with wiring. When they are young and growing fast like this they can be bent and twisted easily with aluminum wire. However they grow very quickly and constant monitoring week to week is needed to prevent too much scarring. For perspective they are planted in 8 inch Azalea pots. The shorter terra cotta style.
The method I prefer is to use a thicker and longer wire than needed in the beginning. This enable me to wrap and unwrap the wire as needed and extend it as the shoot grows in length. The aluminum is great for being able to change position and rework several times without removing it entirely. I usually begin with a 3 to 4 inch anchor in the soil of the pot and work my way up.
IMG_0787.JPG

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Is that old school technology on the tops for sealant? It looks like wax. Possibly wood glue. The callus formation is looking even across the various sizes, that is great. What length of time did you keep them in cold storage?
Yes, old school way......same way I did rose cuttings when I was a kid. The tops were sealed with paraffin wax. I'm satisfied with the callous on these. I got 10 planted up. Probably a month to see some action.

They were cut and stored on 07JAN22. I posted pics on post #91.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yes, old school way......same way I did rose cuttings when I was a kid. The tops were sealed with paraffin wax. I'm satisfied with the callous on these. I got 10 planted up. Probably a month to see some action.

They were cut and stored on 07JAN22. I posted pics on post #91.
Thank you! Condition looks great, obviously good care routine. Nice work. I still use paraffin wax for some grafting and cuttings, particularly when one is working with a number of cuttings or grafts at one time. For small jobs I grab the latex caulk or one of the new sealants in the small tube for easier application.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thank you! Condition looks great, obviously good care routine. Nice work. I still use paraffin wax for some grafting and cuttings, particularly when one is working with a number of cuttings or grafts at one time. For small jobs I grab the latex caulk or one of the new sealants in the small tube for easier application.
I fertilized all my mume heavy this year and they are pushing out some excellent growth. More projects to conduct around mid summer.

How old are the ones in the picture you posted in post #171

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I fertilized all my mume heavy this year and they are pushing out some excellent growth. More projects to conduct around mid summer.

How old are the ones in the picture you posted in post #171
This group is not the typical progression. Cuttings were taken in December of 2021, they rooted in the spring of 2022, started strong and suffered in a heat wave of six weeks last summer. They dropped all their leaves in august, stalled and started slowly this spring. They are now shooting up and beginning to extend strongly. I will increase fertilizer over the next month. I have held off so far as I repotted them in march to the larger pots. I expect 3 to 4 feet of growth extension this year as I increase the tea bags slowly. They usually reach the top of the shade cloth and begin to bend along the underside by fall. The shade cloth is installed approximately mid June and it is five or six feet above the surface of the bench the pots are sitting on.
Based on past experience, it is typical that the second season begins the strongest growth pattern for young Ume plants. It appears that root structure is still strengthening and improving throughout the first season. This group is the first to be so adversely affected by weather, so the jury is still out for this season. But I predict very strong growth based on the recovery that occurred after repotting this spring.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This group is not the typical progression. Cuttings were taken in December of 2021, they rooted in the spring of 2022, started strong and suffered in a heat wave of six weeks last summer. They dropped all their leaves in august, stalled and started slowly this spring. They are now shooting up and beginning to extend strongly. I will increase fertilizer over the next month. I have held off so far as I repotted them in march to the larger pots. I expect 3 to 4 feet of growth extension this year as I increase the tea bags slowly. They usually reach the top of the shade cloth and begin to bend along the underside by fall. The shade cloth is installed approximately mid June and it is five or six feet above the surface of the bench the pots are sitting on.
Based on past experience, it is typical that the second season begins the strongest growth pattern for young Ume plants. It appears that root structure is still strengthening and improving throughout the first season. This group is the first to be so adversely affected by weather, so the jury is still out for this season. But I predict very strong growth based on the recovery that occurred after repotting this spring.
Do you mean they were rooted back in 2021? I'm looking forward to seeing the progress on these.

My 'Kobai' is really growing strong. I should be able to get several dozen cuttings this year from that one alone.

What are you using for fertilizer in the tea bags? I use Osmocote plus.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I feel it's a waste to toss the tops of the rootstock when it's time to cut back. Here I air layered the top so I can repurpose it for another graft. The graft below is 'Tama ume'.

20220624_195256.jpg20220624_195310.jpg

Top Bottom