FORCING a hawthorne . . .

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
. . . to do what it most assuredly does NOT want to do -- weep.

I am a true advocate of allowing a tree to tell me what IT wants to do, but this on told me it just wanted to be a boring straight arrow growing at a slant. And . . . at the time I was thinking about weeping trees, so . . .

I'm not sure who is gonna win this battle (but it is unlikely to be me).

And before someone asks, it hasn't bloomed for me yet (but neither has the yard tree I got at the same time (about 2006).

Attachments

• 4-15.JPG
    4-15.JPG
    104.3 KB · Views: 168

Bunjeh

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Inspiring. I have several collected haws that are just trunks right now with a bunch of backbuds. This photo gives me something to shoot towards.

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I like it also, maybe it's even better when it is more cascade-style weeping (tilt it the other way).

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
It's like your kid comes to you and says he wants to join the circus... Well that may be what he wants to become but you can apply as much wire as you need to change his mind. ;-)

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I see this working out nice.

Sorce

Random Usr

Chumono
Reaction score
. . . to do what it most assuredly does NOT want to do -- weep.

I am a true advocate of allowing a tree to tell me what IT wants to do, but this on told me it just wanted to be a boring straight arrow growing at a slant. And . . . at the time I was thinking about weeping trees, so . . .

I'm not sure who is gonna win this battle (but it is unlikely to be me).

And before someone asks, it hasn't bloomed for me yet (but neither has the yard tree I got at the same time (about 2006).

It should be possible to succeed, however I'd wire the branches for the curves but use guy wires to achieve the “weep”. And as far as getting it to bloom ,……. you might have “to force” that too. Force it into maturity by a restrictive pot, without replanting for a few years. Mine develops more and more blooms every year. I haven't re-potted it since I first collected it (as yamadori) 3 years ago. When you re-pot it there is always a big chance that it will go back into the juvenile stage and sprout no blossoms at all … until it becomes pot bound again.

FIRST year – none.

LAST year:

Hawthorn B29 April 2014.JPG

THIS year:Hawthorn B32 April 2014.JPG

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Whatever it may become it looks very good right now:cool:

Top Bottom