Forcing Aerial Roots on F. Benjamina?

Grovic

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Last year one of the aerials in my ficus didn't reach the soil, I assumed it would dry up and die, but I didn't cut it. After a few weeks, the root didn't look shriveled, I wiggled it and a bit of sap came out of it, so I left it alone. This year when I put it in the propagator that root started growing again.
This is the root that was dormant for a year then started growing again two weeks ago:

IMG_20220304_080322.jpg

And this is the setup:

IMG_20220304_080405.jpg

Edit: I only put it in the propagator in winter, since I want it to be outside as much as possible during warm weather, also, the heat inside can get dangerously high in summer.

Ugo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
I'll give this a try as soon as I get to up-potting some of these cuttings! Might play with different media that just cut paste, seeing as how all I have is plumber's putty. Have you tried different stuff, or just cut paste?

Hi! Only cut paste, it was an observation more than an experience. I just wanted to hold down the aerial roots that were already there and after a couple days Ive seen new roots coming from the exact places were the paste was applied!

As an FYI, part of what made start down this particular path was just a little while ago @penumbra mentioned that benjies shouldn't have branches wired below horizontal or they weaken and die...
But I'd already done it. 😰

Now I'm thinking I might save this section by getting a couple aerial roots to form down that branch helping to feed it a little more.

I dont know about branch placement on benjies but this big boy have some branches that are close to be wired below horizontal plane and the tree and branches seems in good health.
(Please diregards the cucumbers plants.. the wife wants to save them in my growing room ahaha)
20220304_103649.jpg

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Please diregards the cucumbers plants.
I will not.
Cucumbers are totally legitimate.

This is the root that was dormant for a year then started growing again two weeks ago:

View attachment 422604

And this is the setup:

View attachment 422605

Edit: I only put it in the propagator in winter, since I want it to be outside as much as possible during warm weather, also, the heat inside can get dangerously high in summer.
This is all really great to see.
It gets hot and dry around here during summer, which is one of major concerns on this topic. Good to know I have options. I'll have to see what I can come up with for a propagator in the next month or so.

MHBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Benjaminas will throw ridiculous amounts of aerial roots in the right conditions. High humidity, like 80 percent or more. Constricted pot, shallower the better. Keep the roots shaded until they touch the soil and they will hold and not dry out.

One caveat… They have to be healthy and growing strong.

Also I have a wired plenty of Benjamina branches at a downward angle. It is definitely possible, you just have to keep the Apex in check. Cut back the top. Or the fastest growing areas while you do it and they won’t kill off lower branches.

See this cutting…it threw these roots over 4 months in my grow tent.

2CD08FBF-59A0-4DC7-B6BD-622A1BF5E495.jpeg

40BB9BED-6C34-499B-ADA9-95BD117C876E.jpeg

And now they are all established a year later. Check out my thread on my Benjamina. I love how fast you can develop these.

rootpuma

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
wrap it in sphagnum moss and keep it moist...if you want them on the trunk, wrap the moss in seran wrap to keep it in place...once roots start...put a straw over them to the soil if they are from a branch.

Top Bottom