Forest planting proportions

digger714

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Hello to all. I am starting to study up on, picking out my trees, and learning about forest plantings. I am going to use trident maples, and do a seven tree layout, and they range in trunk size from 1/2" to 2". Do you use the same proportions as with a single tree? as in from 1/4 to 1/10 for each individual tree? and, is there an area size to accomodate a main tree that is 2". as in how large should the entire planing area be for a seven tree with the main 2" #2-1.6", #3-1.1", #4-7 about 1/2" ? I would think for a main tree that is 2" thick, and around 20" tall would be a pretty large layout. Anyway, thanks for any input.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Again, don't overthink these things. Main tree off center in front (one side or another). Secondary tree opposite side a bit back from the main. Smaller trees grouped around those.

If you start overthinking a grove it tends to start looking mechanical -- like a marching band.

cquinn

Shohin
Reaction score
You need to get Saburo Kato's book before you do anything. There's a lot more to it than what is in JKL's post.

digger714

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Thanks cquinn. I actually borowed it from a friend, and read it today. Your right. there is alot to it. The only thing that was never mentioned was any proportions, so i wanted to make sure i didnt miss something. Awesome book. "The Remotest Hill" is quite a layout. Ive never seen anything like that. Thanks again for the info.

Brad

cquinn

Shohin
Reaction score
It's been said by the Japanese that the true mark of a bonsai master is his ability to consistently create forests. It's highly desirable to be able to do so. Kimura is known for his deadwood, but he's created some magnificient forest plantings too.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
One of the better known forests -- John Naka's "Goshin."

At the National Arboretum in Washington. I took this several -- like 10 -- years ago.

Attachments

• ARB-Goshin.jpg
    ARB-Goshin.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 32

digger714

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
well, here is my first picture of one of my forests. This is the one you helped me with. any suggestions on what to do from here. I do know i am going to take the tops off of the larger trees, and move the #3 closer to #1.

Attachments

• DSCN2101.jpg
    DSCN2101.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 47
Top Bottom