Forgotten Trident Fusion

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here is one of those seedling fusion things. About five years ago I planted 18 or 20 small Trident whips around a wire cone that I cobbled together. After loosing interest in it for years I had completely forgot what it was, I actually thought it was a chopped stump when I pulled it out of the weeds under a bench.
Here it is.image.jpegAnd after a butchering.image.jpegthe wire is almost completely disappeared into the tree.image.jpegsomething to play with if you are bored:)

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It makes me want to do it more with other types of trees.

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
When you have time, would you mind going into a bit more detail about how you did this? I have heard of trunk fusions, but I haven't seen a hollow area and wide base achieved as nicely as yours. Nicely done!!

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
This is fantastic. I need to do it with Ficus. Do you recall how you made the wire cone?

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I will post pics of the wire when I get home this evening

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yep!
But mine was WAAAAY less complicated.
Here is my wire.image.jpegand here is how it sat as I planted bare root whips around it.image.jpegit looked like this with the gap and overlap in the front.image.jpegwhen I got home I prepared this very excited to put a bunch of Zelcova whips together, but they are in small pots with dense roots and can't be placed close enough together without destroying them. So bare root whips are best to use
With brea roots they can be placed very close at the base leaving no gaps. Come spring... I am sticking whips together for DAYS!
Oh, I forgot to add, I ONLY tied it exactly how I showed with a single piece of Raffia.

Top Bottom