• DSC_00401.JPG
    DSC_00401.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 101

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I would pull the accent further forward. Additionally, because there is no scroll, I think your accent has to work harder. This accent is very dull to me - just a tuft of grass. It would be better to do something more interesting with more contrast to "amp up" the accent. The scale is ok though.

Daysleeper

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
[EDIT] I am going to edit this out - there was no purpose for this post that I can see. - Bonsainut [/EDIT]

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
and I guess you would put that behind an Ilex Vomitoria - ewwww
Sorry Al, these last 2 posts weren't needed.

pdbacos

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I rather like the way the artist used the space to his or her best advantage:

In contrast to Display XI, I think this composition uses the size of the space and the scale of the elements well. Although there are an even number of elements, I think the artist has found a tenable solution. The scale of the bonsai and kusamono work well with the size of the tokonoma. The contrasting foliage also works well. There is enough void space and the composition doesn't seem cluttered.

I'm trying to imagine trying to fit a scroll in the tokonoma: I'm not sure if the current arrangement would work with a scroll. If the scroll were placed on the left-hand side, the artist would have to be careful about the vertical alignment and the kusamono. I'm no expert at traditional displays, but I think the right triangle created by the placement of a wall hanging might be something to avoid. It might be possible to use some other kind of wall decoration (a small fan perhaps), something that didn't have vertical lines that would place emphasize the left-half of the composition. Even then, I still have my doubts about using any kind of wall hanging with the current elements in this particular tokonoma.

I think if the artist were able to develop perspective by placing one of the elements in the foreground and putting the other in the middleground, it might make use of the depth of the display better since there isn't a scroll or wall hanging in the background. Perhaps this isn't the ideal solution, but I think the artist's arrived at an acceptable compromise given the size of the space and the choice and scale of the two elements.

P

Last edited:

grizzlywon

Shohin
Reaction score
Fresno, CA. Were all the food comes from if we ha
USDA Zone
9A
I just want to say thanks for posting Al! I apreciate even the last two posts in this theme.

I saw this tree in person and it is amazing. I spoke with the owner and he said the tree might be 1000 years old! One photo can't do it justice. The left side view of this tree would show a very nice lifeline and lots of dead wood that go the whole width of the tree. Enough to count the rings.

I am also confused as to why there is no scroll. I thought that that was a major part of this entire display. Didn't all the other tress have one?

The grass is a little plain, but maybe there to give the impression that this ancient tree is planted in a green, lush field or hillside.

I personally thought that this tree was one of the top 3 in the display. (the tree alone) It was in my newbie opinion, a finished tree. From what I remember, there was no wire, or very little wire on it. It is from what I could tell, the tree the owner wishes it to be. Very moving in person, maybe a display would have allowed it to win?

grizzlywon

Shohin
Reaction score
Fresno, CA. Were all the food comes from if we ha
USDA Zone
9A
I just had an idea for any of us to learn from when we display a tree.

1. Bring your digital camera along when you set up.
2. When you are done setting up, step back and take a picture.
3. Use the picture to help you set up your balance and placement.

If I ever show a tree, I'll give this a try. The camera don't lie.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This Cal. juniper is very impressive. In fact I consider this tree one of the best C. junipers in California.

(At this time)

In the future there are some that may surpass it. This tree belongs to Dr. Seiji Shiba immediate past chairman of the GSBF Collection North. Being he was placed near Hideko Metaxis in the Museum, she offered her assistance in making a decision on setting the display. Hideko thought that due to the large nature of the tree and the close proximity of the accent that shoehorning a scroll into the image was going to hurt more than help. The Dr. did indeed bring a scroll for this display but it was not used. I wish I had seen the scroll so I could have imagined what it would have looked like.

I agree.

It was decided that a two point display would be better. (In hindsight since Seiji had this tree and Hideko had the rather unassuming gingko's I think she may have sabotaged Seiji....I will talk to her about this at my earliest convienance)

Also keep in mind that this display is 9 feet wide and that tree took up full well over half the display room. This is a large tree. If I had a tree like this I would want everyone to admire it also, but when 2,500.00 is on the line I might have brought a smaller tree just to make sure I could tell my story.

Last edited:

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
This Cal. juniper is very impressive. In fact I consider this tree one of the best C. junipers in California.

(At this time)

In the future there are some that may surpass it. This tree belongs to Dr. Seiji Shiba immediate past chairman of the GSBF Collection North. Being he was placed near Hideko Metaxis in the Museum, she offered her assistance in making a decision on setting the display. Hideko thought that due to the large nature of the tree and the close proximity of the accent that shoehorning a scroll into the image was going to hurt more than help. The Dr. did indeed bring a scroll for this display but it was not used. I wish I had seen the scroll so I could have imagined what it would have looked like.

I agree.

It was decided that a two point display would be better. (In hindsight since Seiji had this tree and Hideko had the rather unassuming gingko's I think she may have sabotaged Seiji....I will talk to her about this at my earliest convienance)

Also keep in mind that this display is 9 feet wide and that tree took up full well over half the display room. This is a large tree. If I had a tree like this I would want everyone to admire it also, but when 2,500.00 is on the line I might have brought a smaller tree just to make sure I could tell my story.

The tree is magnificent of course, but I don't like the direct light on the tree, it washes out the color of the foliage and casts a distracting shadow on the wall behind the tree. I would prefer a black screen and no light.

Keep it green,
Harry

Attachments

• penny.jpg
    penny.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 2
  • penny1.jpg
    penny1.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Top Bottom