DSC_00731.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:

TheSteve

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'll bite. The scroll is out of whack. It's off center and throws everything out of balance.

Daysleeper

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I know nothing about formal displays so fom an outsiders perspective, The off center scroll bothers me. I just want to jump in there and fix it =/

anttal63

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
i am another who knows nothing about formal display. however i do understand something about balance. i cannot decide whether it is the scroll that needs moving right to the centre of the compostion or would it be better to move the companion to the left to centre the composition. the scroll doesn't bother me as much as the distance between the tree and companion. the table is possibly a little soft for the pot and tree too i think.:) ps thanks al for putting this up i always enjoy learning about this topic.;)

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Anticipating and Education

I will answer Al but only if you promise to give a little instruction on what is formally proper as I have no idea.

With regard to what I would change, I would move the larger plant just a bit left and forward and the accent appears very isolated it needs to be much closer than it is to the grouping.

The Scroll looks centered and I don't know if it should be.

What I like is the strength of the individual elements. Each on their own looks quite good but somewhere it fails to unite into a single image.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Nice display!

But, perhaps could be refined, according to my own taste.

1. The left side of the scroll lines up exactly where on the right side of the display table. Move scroll or display table, ONLY a little. Basically the scroll position is good. Usually I prefer the center.

2. Scroll painting is too busy, and perhaps out of season, can't tell. It is going in the right direction, but needs to be more than just that.

3. Accessory is TOO large. If the large stone (?) black item is removed from the accessory it might be more in scale.

3. Both the display table and wooden slab are approximately the same color. The different shapes are good, but the color and sizes should be different.

Just a few constructive comments.
Good job Al!

Bill

bretts

Shohin
Reaction score
I think it is the pot that is too heavy for the tree and the table. I would like to see the scroll more to the right after a suitable pot was found to compare. I think with the right pot most other elements will blend well here including the season of the scroll.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A close up of the accent. The name of the piece was Butterflies and Barbs. The "fence post" in the piece was full of woodpecker holes as well as a piece of barbwire to go along with those pyracantha barbs.

I have a story that goes along with this also. More on that later.

Attachments

• DSC_00051.JPG
    DSC_00051.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 57

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
My comment is the small piece of the accent that goes off to the left bugs me a bit, once said Bills comments make sense of the feel.

Al was this from the recent display event?

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Scroll location to me is fine (center of display).

The bonsai needs to be moved SLIGHTLY to the left - like an inch. It is currently inline with the scroll.

I agree that the display stand and the wooden slab should be different colors.

I do not like the pot with that tree - it is too heavy and masculine in my opinion - more suited to a heavy conifer.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd say the scroll doesn't match the side planting nor the tree. Such austerity in the tree (the trunk is a stark piece of work, as is the barb-wire sideplanting), requires an echo of the same in the scroll. butterflies and flowers don't really do that. It conflicts with the basic character of the tree. A simple picture of a grasshopper on a stalk of grass, a moonrise, etc.--a single image on a less cluttered scroll...

Last edited:

Mark

Mame
Reaction score
Beyond what has been mentioned already, I would try to "flip" the direction of the tree. I would prefer to see the the long angle on the inside of the display, especially with the strong accent.

Mark

johng

Omono
Reaction score
but what about the mesage???

Ok...there has been some interesting and enlightening offerings about the mechanics of this display, but what is the message??? What story does it tell? Does it need to tell a story?

Could a display created intentionally without a story ever be as good as one that does transmit a message to the viewer...???

For me it is the subtleties of the display that inform the message, that guide the viewer, that connect the elements of the display.

Is the type of flower or butterfly in the scroll significant? does it represent a particular time of year or location for the intended audience.

The fence post and barb wire? would this be used if it did not contribute to the message???

is there a connection between the barb wire and the thorns of pyracantha???

what about the scale of the grass plantings to the fence post...

what is the time of year???

what is the time day???

what is the weather like???

For me this display reads something like this...

It is mid-morning of an early summer day. An ancient Oak is standing alone in an open field...knee high in grass...evidence of an era past are visible in the remains of the old fence post still standing nearby with just a small piece of barb wire still attached...the wildflowers and weeds growing at the base of the old fence reveals a field that has laid fallow for many years...butterflies are fluttering about...the hum of bees can heard ever so gently on the breeze.

Al...I must be honest though...It was not until you posted the close-up of the accessory element that I was able to complete my story...and at that point the display improved dramatically in my eyes and mind!!

Thanks for sharing a thoughtful display!
John

apisto

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here are 3 formal displays as pictured at Gardening Scotland this year

Along with the formal Shohin display stand from the national collection

The millimeter perfection of placement of the shohin was awe inspiring to see.

Watching the set up the measuring tape was never far away along with many long stares to get it just so..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33142023@N02/sets/72157619157418086/ my flickr set from the event

still more to come.

Attachments

• DSCF3192.jpg
    DSCF3192.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 23
  • DSCF3193.jpg
    DSCF3193.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCF3194.jpg
    DSCF3194.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 16
  • DSCF3142.jpg
    DSCF3142.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCF3143.jpg
    DSCF3143.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My inspiration...

Attachments

• friant01.jpg
    friant01.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 21
  • friant04.jpg
    friant04.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 15
  • mariposa03.jpg
    mariposa03.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 14

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here are 3 formal displays as pictured at Gardening Scotland this year

Along with the formal Shohin display stand from the national collection

The millimeter perfection of placement of the shohin was awe inspiring to see.

Watching the set up the measuring tape was never far away along with many long stares to get it just so..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33142023@N02/sets/72157619157418086/ my flickr set from the event

still more to come.

Hi apisto
While I appreciate any photo's having to do with display it might be more appropriate to start a seperate thread concearning your displays so as to not get too many discussions going.

Thanks, Al

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Very instructive, this has been my first time looking at displays in this way. More of this please.

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Hello Apisto
Nice Pics and Nice Trees!! Could you shed some light on why the trees were grouped and displayed on the tables in the manner they were? I think in many cases I would find it difficult to really appreciate individual trees the way they are arranged. Was this just for judging purposes?
Thanks for sharing,
John

Edit:
Sorry Al, just saw your post I will take my question for apisto to another thread.

Last edited:

Yamadori

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes John, You have a great sense of Al's message. I think you will like his story about the display. The story he hinted at earlier when he said, "I have a story that goes along with this also. More on that later." I have told a couple of people since he and I talked at the club meeting on Sunday. It is a great story.

Top Bottom