Formal display for discussion

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think Barbara (yamadori) can back me up when I say that of all the displays, this display has had the most talk statewide. Emails to the museum keep streaming in, even from Japan. Bill Clark is very well connected.

You had to be there.

redvw5

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think John Naka said make displays that evoke something from the American perspective. I think this is definetely that kind of display and I like that very much.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think John Naka said make displays that evoke something from the American perspective. I think this is definetely that kind of display and I like that very much.

BINGO! give the man a cigar

pdbacos

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Again, I really enjoy the idea that these displays can evoke stories and ideas. It reminds of the way abstract art and poetry works for me: that part of the meaning come from the artist or poet, and another part of the meaning comes from the observer.

For me, what is evocative in this display is the presence of man:

I like the juxtaposition of the man-made "thorns" of the barbed wire and its counterpart in the natural world---the thorns of the pyracantha.

The other interesting juxtaposition I find is the interplay between the carefully controlled styling of the bonsai, and the "unkemptness" of the accent. Again, I sense the presence of man in the bonsai artist's mastery over his (or her) material. The "wildness" of the accent suggests, to me, something more "natural" in contrast to the careful placement and planning of the branches in the bonsai.

I'm wondering how the scroll might fit into this scheme....

The fencepost and the barbed wire suggests to me the idea of man-made borders; maybe something a butterfly would not be aware of. The fence is in disrepair, and is overgrown. Perhaps Nature has the upper hand...

P

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Al, John, Redvw, thanks for bringing to life for me this wonderful display. I have to say I just now stopped in on this thread and am glad I did.

Al, this is definitely the finest "Creative Western Display" I have ever seen. The art is in the subtlety. Wish I could have seen it in person.

Chris

Yamadori

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
pd, you are very insightful. I will let Al explain the details. The stories around his diplay are really neat.

apisto

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi apisto
While I appreciate any photo's having to do with display it might be more appropriate to start a seperate thread concearning your displays so as to not get too many discussions going.

Thanks, Al

Cheers

I noticed now we have tons of formal display threads going rather than tagging onto the one

I will open another with these when i get back home :)

Top Bottom