Formal Upright, Nursery Stock, RMJ

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Decided to start a thread on this tree. Nothing spectacular, but with more growth each year, its starting to take on some character. Its an RMJ loaded with juvenile foliage but decent taper. 2" at the base and a ramrod straight trunk. It screamed Formal upright when I saw it, so I figured why not. I still have plans to unwire and rewire the entire tree in the next week or two. Ive considered jinning several branches that run along the same line as the dead trunk, creating a shari that runs up the trunk a bit. But right now I'm happy enough.

as purchased in 2017 for $20

initial styling

same year

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ultimately. I’d like the width of the tree to increase a bit, so I can round out the top of the crown a bit more. I’m going to put it into a shallow oval pot next year at some point. Really at this point also, I’ll be focused on density of pads and clean tertiary branch structure.

Last edited:

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is this one of those Sky rocket cultivars?
No, just a very young Rocky Mountain Juniper. In the wild they don’t necessarily grow this way. Usually contorted and twisted all over. I wouldn’t say a juniper is suitable for formal upright as it’s not it’s natural tendency in the American wilds, but this one was calling to be a formal upright.

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No, just a very young Rocky Mountain Juniper. In the wild they don’t necessarily grow this way. Usually contorted and twisted all over. I wouldn’t say a juniper is suitable for formal upright as it’s not it’s natural tendency in the American wilds, but this one was calling to be a formal upright.

You know where most of you live RMJ is a mountain species so you’re used to seeing them wild and twisted.

Around here near the northern edge of their range they are predominantly a valley bottom species. I can find nice twisted and crazy specimens by searching in specific (but still lower elevation) geography but the form I see the most is very straight upright. Those are the one growing in deep soils. More often than not they are a multistemmed upright form but sometimes they do grow in a single stem upright form and when old enough become quite large trees. I know of a few quite spectacular large ones that must be in the thousands of years, bases that would take a couple or three people to wrap arms around, very tall, straight upright single stem trees. No pics unfortunately but I remember where I found them and someday will return.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You know where most of you live RMJ is a mountain species so you’re used to seeing them wild and twisted.

Around here near the northern edge of their range they are predominantly a valley bottom species. I can find nice twisted and crazy specimens by searching in specific (but still lower elevation) geography but the form I see the most is very straight upright. Those are the one growing in deep soils. More often than not they are a multistemmed upright form but sometimes they do grow in a single stem upright form and when old enough become quite large trees. I know of a few quite spectacular large ones that must be in the thousands of years, bases that would take a couple or three people to wrap arms around, very tall, straight upright single stem trees. No pics unfortunately but I remember where I found them and someday will return.
Interesting. Haven’t been up that far.

Using there juvenile needle foliage, I was going for the look of a spruce or fir tree. But mostly, when I bought this one, I saw the potential to have a bit of fun. It’s been extraordinarily hardy and responded and still does respond to aggressive work. I’ve considered getting several and doing a group. My buddy runs a nursery here in Abq, where I got this one, and he brings in quite a few natives.

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Interesting. Haven’t been up that far.

Using there juvenile needle foliage, I was going for the look of a spruce or fir tree. But mostly, when I bought this one, I saw the potential to have a bit of fun. It’s been extraordinarily hardy and responded and still does respond to aggressive work. I’ve considered getting several and doing a group. My buddy runs a nursery here in Abq, where I got this one, and he brings in quite a few natives.

A group of those in that style would be nice.

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Now wire out all those secondary branches in the foliage. Focus on continuing to set structure/remove structural flaws. Lay them out flat, even if you want bulkier pads eventually. You're just building the structure those pads will grow on. In this case, I think its the best use of the material and seems to be pretty well done so far. Now spend a few hours laying these pads out and you'll really have something this time next year.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Now wire out all those secondary branches in the foliage. Focus on continuing to set structure/remove structural flaws. Lay them out flat, even if you want bulkier pads eventually. You're just building the structure those pads will grow on. In this case, I think its the best use of the material and seems to be pretty well done so far. Now spend a few hours laying these pads out and you'll really have something this time next year.
Thanks @bwaynef , that’s def my plan In the next week or so. It’ll help the look of the apex especially. Need to remove all of the existing wire first. I imagine it’ll take a few hrs to get it all done, but something I’ve learned in the last year or two, is that junipers need to be 100% wired to really build long term structure. Too bad its taken me almost 8 years to figure that out.😂 I’ll post pics when I’m done.

Last edited:

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Beautiful composition but my goodness, your structural wiring is a mess!
and believe me, I don't love that fact. But, I've wired out multiple other trees this summer, spring and now fall, and I promise its only gotten better. When I re-wire this tree there should be some visible improvement. SHOULD.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Removed. Few of the lowest branches. I’ll probably remove 1 or 2 along the length of the trunk at some point. With more growth and outward reach the composition is getting better. Needs a trim and new wireA0EF4D11-BA0B-49DA-838B-D4003EB4676F.jpegD85FB508-E1E8-435E-91F7-754C826872E9.jpeg

Top Bottom