Formal uprights

bonsaiBlake

Chumono
Reaction score
Bering sea, AK Orginally from Vancover, wa
I've noticed there really arent many formal uprights on this site.

Sooooo. . . . If you have a F.U.(haha) lets see it. any species deciduios/evergreen, typical or not, whatever it is in formal upright style.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not one here. Yet. Want to develop one but just haven't came across the right tree yet. Not even sure on the species yet. Maybe a Bald Cypress or a Redwood . Kind of looking forward toseeing some other member's formal upright trees though.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Here are the two trees I have that are closest to formal upright. The beech has a little movement above the first branch, so purists may scoff...the strict definition is why the formal upright style is relatively rare.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 625
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 629

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here are the two trees I have that are closest to formal upright. The beech has a little movement above the first branch, so purists may scoff...the strict definition is why the formal upright style is relatively rare.

Those are both great looking trees! No scoffing here. Love the bark on that Beech. I was thinking of using a bald cypress,dawn redwood or a hinoki cypress. I've found a couple of each that would work at a nursery near here. Just have to decide on who it will be.

sully

Seedling
Reaction score
Just got it!

Attachments

• 20140518_123428.jpg
    20140518_123428.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 507

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
I've got three, a California Juniper, a Coast Redwood Yamadori I collected in Santa Cruz,CA , and a Dawn Redwood I just started last year from a 15 gallon nursery tree.

Attachments

• abasss_ph2.jpg
    abasss_ph2.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 514
  • redwood at fair.jpg
    redwood at fair.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 512
  • 5-18-14 005.jpg
    5-18-14 005.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 517
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
These are bad photos but its the single best formal upright I've owned. Probably should not have sold it, but someone else wanted it really badly....

Attachments

• DSC_8757.jpg
    DSC_8757.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 523
  • DSC_8761.jpg
    DSC_8761.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 471
  • DSC_8762.jpg
    DSC_8762.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 459
  • DSC_8763.jpg
    DSC_8763.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 467

bonsaiBlake

Chumono
Reaction score
wow guys, I didn't expect to have so many of the uppers reply, Thanks to all of you guys.

Absolutely fantastic trees, Thanks again for taking the time to post. Bnut is my only connection to the bonsai comm. and threads that do well like this are the reason i remain a Bnut member exclusively.

If anyone has anymore formal uprights lets see um'

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here are a few formal upright style bonsai from my collection:

RAF Dwarf Scots pine
Trident maple
Seiju elm

Bill

Really like the Seiju Elm Bill. I've seen it before somewhere on some internet search. It's sweet. Do you still have it?

Gene Deci

Shohin
Reaction score
Here is another, although it may be a little too informal It is a cedar (Thula occidentals) collected in 2005.

Not to hijack this thread, but I seem to always be disappointed in the pictures of my trees. I just assumed it was because I am not a very good photographer but looking at some of them for awhile I realized it is often because a picture is two dimensional. You can't tell if a branch is coming out or going back or to the side. So it often looks like a jumble of crossing branches. How do you avoid that?

Attachments

• Cedar FU 2014.jpg
    Cedar FU 2014.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 505

bonsaiBlake

Chumono
Reaction score
Here is another, although it may be a little too informal It is a cedar (Thula occidentals) collected in 2005.

Not to hijack this thread, but I seem to always be disappointed in the pictures of my trees. I just assumed it was because I am not a very good photographer but looking at some of them for awhile I realized it is often because a picture is two dimensional. You can't tell if a branch is coming out or going back or to the side. So it often looks like a jumble of crossing branches. How do you avoid that?

i think the best way to document a tree is through a video, this is becoming more and more popular on this site and a video really captures the 3-d aspect of the specimen.

where did you get the pot for this tree btw its fantastic?

Top Bottom