ForrestFord’s little Christmas tree entry

Forrestford

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Here is my entry for the contest...
Home depot for the win
A baby blue spruce with some movement down low.
And a Twin trunk Alberta spruce273824
I had to get two in case I kill one, which is very likely... anyways looking forward to progressing these. When is a good time to style? I’ve heard winter when the sap isn’t flowing, or should I wait until it’s closer to spring? Already got some cool ideas.
-Forrest

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
yeah man haha. I’ve never really worked on spruce before so I’m trying to figure out when’s a Good time to style it.
Me too. I don't know if you’ve come across this but this seems like a pretty comprehensive guide for UK timings at least http://www.bonsai4me.com/AdvTech/ATPiceaPruningstylingandwiring.htm Your climate zone is pretty similar I think (mine‘s 8 something as well) so shouldn’t be too far wrong for you as a guide.

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I know nothing about these stone pines, so I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with them!

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Wait.. There are lidl's in the US?
When do we get wallmarts?!

Anyhow, stone pines can handle a lot of work and survive. But the finicky thing is their juvenile needle nature; they revert in the blink of an eye after any work done.
Their foliage tends to be coated in resin in spring and they don't take frosts very well. They do bark up fast and they're vigorous growers. I had a couple, but after a year or so I tossed them in the fireplace because I was tired of their juvenile behavior.

Forrestford

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Yeah, we got lidl and aldi. I’m not sure you want a Walmart. It will bring, a certain kind of people. Check out peopleofwalmart.com to see what I mean.

I started reading about them a little there’s some nice threads on here. That what I hear about their foliage, but you’re right the bark is pretty strange on them. What did you do about the foliage?

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I know the people of wallmart, that's why I think it'd be fun!
To my knowledge there has been one person in bonsai that was able to control the foliage on stone pines: he just left the plant alone, no clipping, no repotting, after four years it stabilized in adult form and stayed that way as long as he didn't touch the tree. It's out there somewhere on the web, in one of the less popular bonsai forums. I don't remember which one. I remember another person that tried to work with the juvenile foliage only, which was way easier but the tree didn't give off a true pine vibe.

I wasn't able to get it to the adult form in the two years I owned mine. Most pines go adult in the first or second year, I've noticed that both halepensis and stone pine are way slower to do so. Both are from the mediterranean, so it could be a geographical trait.

I know this isn't helping a whole lot, but it's the best I can do for you. Maybe @my nellie knows a bit more? If I'm correct he's from Greece where these pines grow in the wild.

cishepard

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We are coming closer to the end of the Little Christmas Tree contest. Final photos should be posted in your individual threads, and will be voted on by the general membership starting on April 30.

Time to start thinking about your repotting, final design, wiring, pruning and generally getting the trees in shape for the contest!

Top Bottom