Forsythia bonsai?

Bonsailane

Mame
Reaction score
I have no useful suggestions whatsoever, but I thought I would post a very old stump I dug up from my new house. It was a large overgrown mess falling into the driveway when I bought the house in late 2008. I cut it back and wrestled it out of the ground in early 2009. I left all the trunk stumps too long originally; I do not pretend to have a credible explanation for this, although I must have had some sort of thought about that at the time

In any case, it grew quite happily last year, and I cut the stumps back again this winter This is where I am now. Some of the live stumps still probably are too long, and a lot of the stumps you see are dead but, I think, beautiful. The eventual plan is to try to save the bases of most of the stumps and to thicken up new leaders and to give them movement over time, eventually settling into a nice clump style.

It even flowered for me this year, in its first year in captivity...I think that's good. I think.
What time of year did you dig yours up and what was the soil ratio you used to pot it in

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What time of year did you dig yours up and what was the soil ratio you used to pot it in

Reduced and kept well watered I bet you can use anything anytime.

I've grown mine in a few soils.
Only grew bad in Unsifted 8822.

Sorce

Nomiyama

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have two forsythia's , here is the larger of the two. I plan on wiring it for its first styling this Spring before it blooms. It was collected about three years ago and it stands about 2ft tall.

Attachments

• IMG_3351.JPG
    IMG_3351.JPG
    452.6 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_3591.JPG
    IMG_3591.JPG
    532.8 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_3363.JPG
    IMG_3363.JPG
    411.6 KB · Views: 126

Mihai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Just one question if anyone is watching this ancient thread :).
When would you go about trunk chopping one in the ground if you wanted to put in the pot next spring? (A nice single trunk grown as a tree and not a shrub). Maybe 4-5 inches at the base.

Bonsailane

Mame
Reaction score
I have two forsythia's , here is the larger of the two. I plan on wiring it for its first styling this Spring before it blooms. It was collected about three years ago and it stands about 2ft tall.
Wow,,, now I have to give it a try

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here is a nice one I saw over on the Lang pot site.
View attachment 150030
That one was in the Potomac Bonsai Association show a while back, as I think the tags indicate. Don't know who the owner is though. I've never worked one, but I've heard they're not all that easy, since their stems are hollow.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I remember seeing a nice smaller one over at IBC back in the day. That one that you know of @rockm is a really nice example, the tag on the photo I pulled from Ron's site says RuthPlanted.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I remember seeing a nice smaller one over at IBC back in the day. That one that you know of @rockm is a really nice example, the tag on the photo I pulled from Ron's site says RuthPlanted.

It's out of the Baltimore Bonsai Club

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
In our region this year they never did their "Spring show". It was a strange weather pattern and although all are alive and very green they never went yellow. Old timers in the area never recall it happening before :confused:

Grimmy

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Here's mine from a couple of years ago. It's a bit more developed now. Always been in a pot from a cutting. It puts out so many roots you almost have to repot twice a year!

View attachment 131302
Any tips on dealing with the hollow branches? Seen mention of paste when cutting back.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hm.. Feels a little like a generic forsythia thread now? I wish I had seen this before.

This is what I did november 2013
1547985008935.png

April the next year, note the box of matches on the top right pot:
1547985067801.png

Two weeks later I realized this will never become a one-person-tree and I swapped it for some tools..

Now I am kicking myself because I have not been able to find anything in this size region.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hm.. Feels a little like a generic forsythia thread now? I wish I had seen this before.

This is what I did november 2013
View attachment 224038

April the next year, note the box of matches on the top right pot:
View attachment 224039

Two weeks later I realized this will never become a one-person-tree and I swapped it for some tools..

Now I am kicking myself because I have not been able to find anything in this size region.
Dang! Looks like what we pulled from our yard. It was so big...I am thinking we gave to a farmer friend of ours. Never thought of a clump style back then. I was new in bonsai...and hated that shrub...I had told my husband from the get go, they were not foundation shrubs. I now, have a small manageble one. Thanks for sharing.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I haven't had to deal with any hollow stems but the stem should be solid at the nodes?
How much die back does this get when cutting back? I cut one branch back that had a huge clump whorl of branches that was not pleasant looking. It wasn't quite hollow...but not totally solid when I did it. With it being dormant...I didn't put any paste on the location. But I left it longer than desired for dieback issues. Maybe the younger material doesn't have solid branching? Or, I could have cut it back more.

Top Bottom