Forsythia collecting.

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Hello guys! I got permission to collect an old forsythia stump which would make a killer clump style piece. Its hot here (90s) Is is possible to collect it and keep it alive this time of the year? I collected a smaller one from my yard a couple weeks ago and its throwing new shoots right now but this one is a lot bigger. Thanks. Tommy

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'd wait until late winter/very early spring for best chances.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Today is the day.

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don't listen to me! Lol!

Water for sure.

Lotta water for sure.

Sorce

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hello guys! I got permission to collect an old forsythia stump which would make a killer clump style piece. Its hot here (90s) Is is possible to collect it and keep it alive this time of the year? I collected a smaller one from my yard a couple weeks ago and its throwing new shoots right now but this one is a lot bigger. Thanks. Tommy
So did you yank it?

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Yes I did, The big gorgeous stump turned out to be several little trees so I was highly disappointed. Also, most of it is dead wood so I was able to use only a fraction of it. All in all it didn't turned out good and some did survived.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
The big gorgeous stump turned out to be several little trees so I was highly disappointed. Also, most of it is dead wood so I was able to use only a fraction of it. All in all it didn't turned out good and some did survived.
This is the story with many collected trees. They always seem so much better in the ground. By the time you have them out not so good. When you get home even less attractive. When potted less attractive again. After a couple of weeks you wonder why you even bothered.
The good thing is the practice and learning about transplanting. Very occasionally one does live up to expectations.

Top Bottom