Forsythia Project

aframe

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
That is great work in little time, thanks for the progression. Hook us up with an update!

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
That is great work in little time, thanks for the progression. Hook us up with an update!

Many thanks, it grew well over the summer but even though it gets pot bound (raises itself in the pot with so many roots) in two years the leaves don't reduce very much. It should look nice again in the spring.
Cheers
Graham

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ghues.

Still love it. If I may......

Carve front pic. If you lean it a little left, and bring the right side foilage down a bit, I think you'll have a better image. Thoughts?

Forget the leaves! Keep grooming it for that flower display.

Have you ever seen the youtube video of the all Forsythia show? I think its in China. All yellow! Thats what its all about!

Sorce

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Ghues.

Still love it. If I may......

Carve front pic. If you lean it a little left, and bring the right side foilage down a bit, I think you'll have a better image. Thoughts?

Forget the leaves! Keep grooming it for that flower display.

Have you ever seen the youtube video of the all Forsythia show? I think its in China. All yellow! Thats what its all about!

Sorce
Thanks Sorce, I'll have a look at that option.

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
forsyt11.jpg

We are off to an early spring here in the PNW, she is 4 weeks ahead of last year.....the flowers have lasted for 2 weeks.
Cheers Graham

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very Nice!

Time for a prettier pot?

IT definitely deserves it!

Great show! Jolly good show!

Sorce

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks Sorce and Ryan.
Yes it does need a better pot but then again so do most of my trees (lol). Ryan - I collected it from the yard - in the way of a fence that I installed a couple years back.
Cheers Graham

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
View attachment 123786 All tucked in ready for winter....will look for a shallower pot and hopefully repot it after it flowers next spring.
Looking nice and ramified! I have this stupid little twig in a pot forsythia that I thought would bulk up in a few years but just hasn't done a thing. I think it's time to donate to the club auction in the spring and move on with some of my other stuff.

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Looking nice and ramified! I have this stupid little twig in a pot forsythia that I thought would bulk up in a few years but just hasn't done a thing. I think it's time to donate to the club auction in the spring and move on with some of my other stuff.
Thanks........I here you Vin, this came from our previous garden so it had a head start.....they do fatten up quickly in the garden if you have a grow bed. G.

Reactions: Vin

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks........I here you Vin, this came from our previous garden so it had a head start.....they do fatten up quickly in the garden if you have a grow bed. G.
Heck, I'll throw it in the ground for a couple years then and see what happens. Thanks!

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
realy Cool tree ghuess
great inspiration to me!
we have a big bush with a fat tapered trunk in the front garden but my wife wont Let me dig it out
im going to show her your tree and hope she Will give in lol

if you like i could post a photo here :)

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Gorgeous yellow, magnificent!! Looks to be "ageing" nicely.:cool:

I wonder if perhaps eliminating some branch at the top of the deadwood and trying to introduce some irregularity in the resultant space could reduce some of the "symmetry" of the carving.
Maybe removing a branch and doing some more detailed carving, but trying to leave it more natural....;):D:D:D:confused:
Must pop with color on your bench this time of year!!!:cool::cool::cool:

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks for all the "likes" and @LanceMac10 and @Wilson for your comments. For me this tree is all about the flowers, introducing us to spring around these parts (it goes well with our daffodils on the front porch). The tree is delicate, branches are easily broken and has a pith in the middle. The roots are lifting the tree out of the pot so I will repot in a couple of weeks, also will prune down the branches to try and get mote ramification, will consider opening up the front to enhance (perhaps) the carving and trunk.
Cheers Graham

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hi Darlene,
My wife liked it too much and asked me to put it into a garden pot so that she could enjoy it even more. Have let it grow which will provide better ramification if and when I can put it back into a bonsai pot.

Top Bottom