Forsythia Project

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hi folks,
During some spring changes to the yard I had to remove a Forsythia plant so I thought why not try to pot it up. Since these photos were taken I’ve removed about 50% of the leaves (especially the large ones) and its sending out lots of new ones which will hopefully be a little smaller. I’ll carve out the area on the front which is outlined in black felt pen next year.
Cheers G

Attachments

• Forsythia June11.jpg
    Forsythia June11.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 562
  • Forsythia-back June11.jpg
    Forsythia-back June11.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 468

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Spring finally hear on the 50th parallel.

Winters on the west coast of Canada can be long, cool (sometimes cold), wet and grey…… and just when you think you can’t stand it anymore……. spring beckons.
My Amour maples are starting to move as are some of the larches but this forsythia brightens up those grey days and reminds me that spring is almost here (and so is repotting season).
Cheers

Attachments

• ForsythiaBMar2012.jpg
    ForsythiaBMar2012.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 361
  • ForsythiaFMar2012.jpg
    ForsythiaFMar2012.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 334

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Sweet!
My Japanese larch is already at the brushes stage...

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
More flowers

Just a quick update as all the flowers are now out and once the tree is settled in (after the repot) I'll do some carving.

Attachments

• Forsythia2.jpg
    Forsythia2.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 316

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Easter Update

Hi Folks,
Here is an update, flower show is greater than last year, hopefully I'll be able to grow out the gaps and have a more complete image ;).
Cheers
Graham.
p.s. Dick - I'm not sure what type of pot.....as I dont have any inventory :(
Easter2013.jpg

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Three years in the pot and I could tell that it was time to re-pot.... I do recall that folks had recommended to do that after it flowed BUT I just slip potted it this weekend- not the most complementary pot but it was the next largest one in the set of three round ones (Roger Snipes pots) that I have.
The buds are swelling so hopefully it will start flowering soon (which will be the next update).
Cheers Graham

Attachments

• Forsythia#1.jpg
    Forsythia#1.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 289
  • Forsythia#1-roots.jpg
    Forsythia#1-roots.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 263
  • Forsythia#12.jpg
    Forsythia#12.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 293

Ryan820

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Love this one. Has it bloomed yet?

I have forsythia on my property and will have to go looking to see what possibilities there may be.

Are forsythia easy to air layer??

CHUCHIN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Relatively easy to air layer...

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Getting Better with Age

Hi Folks,
Another spring update - now that this little tree flowers are almost 100% open....had to snap the photos yesterday before the forcasted 4 days of rain.
IMHO the image is starting to provide a nicer silhouette and I don't even mind the irregularity of the shape...more realistic to me rather than a contrived perfect rounded canopy, however it still does need to fill out more to be in relationship with the trunk (the pot is over-sized but these things grow an enormous amount of roots as can been seen in the re-pot post).
Thanks for viewing.
Cheers Graham

Attachments

• April2 2014#1.jpg
    April2 2014#1.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 274
  • April2 2014#2.jpg
    April2 2014#2.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 256

Ryan820

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I think it looks great!

I am planning on taking many cuttings from our forsythia this year and do a trunk fusion. I'm told these root easily so we shall see. Any advice?

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think it looks great!

I am planning on taking many cuttings from our forsythia this year and do a trunk fusion. I'm told these root easily so we shall see. Any advice?

Okay, I gotta ask. How do you do a trunk fusion?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Okay, I gotta ask. How do you do a trunk fusion?

Check out Dugzbonsai on the web, he shows fusion techniques there for tridents. There are simpler ways though, basically wounding the bark and tying the trees together at the wounds will eventually fuse them.

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I think it looks great!

Hi Ryan, you should have no problems making cuttings from this plant at all. I've used a combination of shredded sphagnum moss, pumice/perlite fines with a little coarse sand. I have never tried a fusion with this plant so can't help you there.
Cheers
G.

Ryan820

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Thanks for the info! I'll have to give it a try when the time comes. We just got 8 inches of snow yesterday so definitely not yet.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I love this tree! .

Top Bottom