Forsythia Yard-adori

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The stump is awkward, but would be a good carving project if forsythia wood is stable enough. How about a uro?

Agreed, and I've never carved anything before. Good practice at least, then I can always lop it off and maybe try a uro.

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Just some updated photos. Let it run; cut some back; left some sacrificial stuff in the back to blend some areas of the base.

Still hoping for it to bud lower on the middle and left trunks.

Eventually I'll cut that nub down at an angle and try my hand at some carving...

IMG_20200804_155250.jpg

IMG_20200804_155348.jpg

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
People with forsythia:

Repot before or after flowering?

Reiner says after on his blog here:

I'm guessing it doesn't matter too too much considering the roots these throw out. Reiner mentions repotting twice a year (again in late summer).

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
PXL_20210503_152712097~2.jpg

Still hoping for a bud to pop at the yellow off the front right of the main trunk; will probably chop that long left shoot down and fill the area from the yellow on the left of the main trunk.

Also wish I had rotated a bit more counterclockwise, but this will probably need a second repot during summer dormancy anyway...

iMarkup_20210503_114347.jpg

Started carving a uro, but I bought cheap bits; might just allow it to rot out naturally.

The shakes have 7" exposed for scale.

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If y want buds to pop, plant it in the ground for at least one, possibly 2 growing seasons. It should pop buds all over. Being in a bonsai pot reduces growth rate.
Yeah, thanks for the reality check. I don't have anywhere good to put it, but I'll throw it back into a large training pot (maybe a bit bigger than the one it was in before).

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
How did this one do?
Im planning to dig up one of my yard next spring looking for info and look at basicly any example i can Find !

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
How did this one do?
Im planning to dig up one of my yard next spring looking for info and look at basicly any example i can Find !
It's fine, but the larger trunk died. Will have to rework as some kind of clump if I want to keep it, but might put it back in the ground for awhile to see what it gives me.

Look at the blog in post 11 - Google should translate it for you. Best resource I found.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It's fine, but the larger trunk died. Will have to rework as some kind of clump if I want to keep it, but might put it back in the ground for awhile to see what it gives me.

Look at the blog in post 11 - Google should translate it for you. Best resource I found.
Ah thats a shame :(
Yeah i already found the info i need in regard of taking care of the plant Just looking now at styled ones etc for inspiration the trunk i got in the yard is a single big fat trunk with good taper and its barked up nicely only thing i dont know how its below the ground im afraid it was Just took out of nursery pot and planted like that 30 years ago so i might have to pot it and then ground layer it to get some nebari going

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Ah thats a shame :(
Yeah i already found the info i need in regard of taking care of the plant Just looking now at styled ones etc for inspiration the trunk i got in the yard is a single big fat trunk with good taper and its barked up nicely only thing i dont know how its below the ground im afraid it was Just took out of nursery pot and planted like that 30 years ago so i might have to pot it and then ground layer it to get some nebari going
You could pull it up as violently as you want and it would have a 99% chance of survival (slightly exaggerating).

They almost need to be reported twice a season they grow roots so fast.

In other words, you can probably fix any root issues pretty quickly.

Top Bottom