Forum help with an introduction for yamadori hunting? Maybe?

Joe Shmo

Sapling
Reaction score
Myself and a group of fellow bonsai enthusiasts recently had the chance to talk with the owner of a local forrest management company and actually got permission to scour their 8,000+ acres of Forrest for yamadori material, although after an entire week spent with over 6 hours a day in the woods we found nothing suitable it was still a fun experience. After talking with the owner afterwords he made us aware that there is over 1,000,000 acres of land in the state that is owned by dozens of forrest management companies and that we should put together some sort of introduction "this is what we do" type letter to send to all of them to see which ones would let us hunt yamadori in their forests.

As you can probably tell by the already growing length of this post with run-on thoughts and rambling, I myself am not the greatest at those kinds of things. So I had the idea over breakfast today that maybe as a community we could work on putting something together that everyone, everywhere could use as a template or letter that could be presented to land owners explaining what yamadori is, how its collected, guidelines, species, etc. etc. Something that lets them know that most yamadori hunters are respectful of the forest, and do not just chop down trees just because, something that lets them know what makes a yamadori something that we would collect or lets them know exactly what we are looking for, and all that jazz. In short, just a nice letter that would help us yamadori lovers open the door to gaining access to new places to hunt for yamadori.

If anybody is interested in contributing in terms of a little writing, or maybe you have some pictures you took of a tree still in the ground before collecting from a forest we can use for visuals, or has anything they want to contribute at all, please let me know here. I am hoping if we can get this done, we can publish it here for everyone to use across the whole community.

Thanks

Joe Shmo

Sapling
Reaction score
Great idea

I thought so, but it looks like I'm going to be on my own for trying to come up with it. I thought about going to fiverr.com to have it written for me, but i highly doubt that anyone there knows anything about yamadori.

Joe Shmo

Sapling
Reaction score
Just wanted to put this out there one more time before I attempted to go at it alone in hopes of finding someone who is a little more of a word-smith than I.

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
Go to backcountry's website and read their latest blog. Everyone collecting or thinking of collecting should do so.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Go to backcountry's website and read their latest blog. Everyone collecting or thinking of collecting should do so.
A web search brings up all kinds of "backcountry". Can you be a little more specific as to what you are refering to?

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
@wireme I see Whitebark and limber are protected there as well.

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Good for almost three years?! When I get a Forest Service permit, I have to specify a 30 day window, pay for a minimum of four trees and a maximum of five! Only one permit per household per year and if you don't get all of your trees in the 30 days, too bad.

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
Good for almost three years?! When I get a Forest Service permit, I have to specify a 30 day window, pay for a minimum of four trees and a maximum of five! Only one permit per household per year and if you don't get all of your trees in the 30 days, too bad.
It varies from forest to forest. Typically I get 2-3 months locally. Went over the cascade crest for a different permit. It was only good the day of issue.

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Yeah, I know I was lucky there. The thing is that standard issue permits for this kind of thing just don't exist here yet. I got this just by asking and discussion. The first couple times were 1 year permits, I guess they decided this was easier than renewing. Who knows what will happen when it expires. Hopefully the same again.

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Yeah, I know I was lucky there. The thing is that standard issue permits for this kind of thing just don't exist here yet. I got this just by asking and discussion. The first couple times were 1 year permits, I guess they decided this was easier than renewing. Who knows what will happen when it expires. Hopefully the same again.
Yeah, I've been thinking about how to approach the forest supervisor about issuing permits to collect outside of the designated area.

Top Bottom