• Maybe

Votes: 6 12.8%

• Total voters

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Maybe a cool addition to the forum would be an vote/point-system to rate someone's (bonsai) knowledge.

At the moment we can only see how funny someone is (number of likes), and how much posts someone has made. So, perhaps it's nice to vote on the best awnser / member so we have an indication how good someone is, instead of how much posts they have made.

In much forums they call it karma (which can only be given once per day or something, qoute from a random forum "Karma is basically a rating system, in general. You post and gain Karma for your posts, within your post you also have a button which will allow others to rate your post(s) (whether they think it was helpful or useless), if helpful, your karma will raise, if not then it will drop."

So, that's basicly my idea and I like it, I made a poll, maybe it's only me ;)

Reaction score
No Karma for me... this site is mainly just a social club anyways, where the only people who get comments or likes on their trees are the "Cool Kids".

People will attach a vote or point to their buddy because of this... This is why we already have so many people of authority in Bonsai, who don't know what their doing.

Oh, and looking at one's tree's does not work either! Anyone with money can buy nice trees...

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No Karma for me... this site is mainly just a social club anyways, where the only people who get comments or likes on their trees are the "Cool Kids".

People will attach a vote or point to their buddy because of this... This is why we already have so many people of authority in Bonsai, who don't know what their doing.

Oh, and looking at one's tree's does not work either! Anyone with money can buy nice trees...

You can learn a lot about people by checking to see whose posts they always "like" (or conversely, who they never like). Except for those who basically like every single thing that is posted (you know who you are).

Regarding the quality of trees one posts, that can be very misleading. Anyone could go out and get pics of good trees (or buy trees already styled) and post them as their own. That doesn't prove much. On the other hand, it's possible for someone to know a lot about a particular aspect of bonsai and not have great trees to show.

I've seen "karma" type rating systems seriously abused on a number of forums, and suspect the same would happen here. If you spend any time on a forum you learn who knows what they are talking about.

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If I want to know how "Good" someone is, I look at the trees they have posted and worked. No BS in a photo.
Yeah, but someone new to the forum can't sort on nice looking tree's, beside that not everyone has photo's in their media folder. When someone has an extra option / Karma-bar you could see it directly (voted up by other members).

No Karma for me... this site is mainly just a social club anyways, where the only people who get comments or likes on their trees are the "Cool Kids". People will attach a vote or point to their buddy because of this... This is why we already have so many people of authority in Bonsai, who don't know what their doing. Oh, and looking at one's tree's does not work either! Anyone with money can buy nice trees...
The number of likes indicates the "cool kids", but if someone posts something stupid (like me) other people can vote his karma down because of a dumb post (Cool Kids can't control all the members / votes.).

p.s.: I found the (unimplemented) trophy-options on the forum, that could also be enough (I don't know which Trophy's will get added, but maybe it can get utilized for this purpose?)

Last edited:

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If you spend any time on a forum you learn who knows what they are talking about.

X2. Just by hanging out and reading one can figure it out.

whfarro

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
X2. Just by hanging out and reading one can figure it out.
Exactly. It is part of doing your homework...not unlike using the search feature. Since I have been on this forum I have observed @Vance Wood is the Mugo Pine guy and folks like @MACH5 have great experience with Maples. Others like @Brian Van Fleet offer great advice. It doesn't take long to sort this out.

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Very clear input, I hope the trophies get added soon ;) (not that I will get any of them soon :p)

Reaction score
Yeah, but someone new to the forum can't sort on nice looking tree's, beside that not everyone has photo's in their media folder. When someone has an extra option / Karma-bar you could see it directly (voted up by other members).

The number of likes indicates the "cool kids", but if someone posts something stupid (like me) other people can vote his karma down because of a dumb post (Cool Kids can't control all the members / votes.).

p.s.: I found the (unimplemented) trophy-options on the forum, that could also be enough (I don't know which Trophy's will get added, but maybe it can get utilized for this purpose?)
Not trying to argue here, but this is not how society works...

Humans have a inherent nature of Needing to belong to some thing. Does not matter what this something is... they have to attach themselves to it, and be where everyone else is. They want to be part of the party.

They will not vote against the party and they will not stray from the party, lest they will become of no more importance.

This is why some can do the exact same work here, produce the very same results, have the very same nice trees, yet one gets a thousand comments, a thousand likes, are given pats on the back and praises all day long... while the other gets none and has to beg folks to comment on their work. If they do then get them, they are usually to the effect of "what, do you want a pat on the back, or something? "
Yet, the "Cool Kids" get them...

Why? Perhaps the feeling of needing to belong? If one is seen posting a comment on the "Cool Kids" threads, they are I guess cool then themselves?

So, you are saying that folks will be able to disassociate themselves from this and if the post or the belief that is being put forth by one who people see others liking, is wrong, they are going to say so?
Is not going to happen...

We have an inherently flawed system where value of knowledge is as well placed on these same principles.... the more likes, the more comments, the more this person must know what they are doing, right?

So, then the people who don't get these then, must not know what they are then doing, I guess? How so?

Adding more trophies, more likes, smiley faces, big stars on their report cards only adds to the situation. 99 percent of the problems here at the Nut, stem from folks feeling they are not being heard, or being respected.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Wanted to add that I am sorry... not trying to poopoo your idea or your enthusiasm in wanting to post this idea. I understand you are just trying to contribute and add to the site, and are happy to be a part of this site!

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This is why some can do the exact same work here, produce the very same results, have the very same nice trees, yet one gets a thousand comments, a thousand likes, are given pats on the back and praises all day long... while the other gets none and has to beg folks to comment on their work. If they do then get them, they are usually to the effect of "what, do you want a pat on the back, or something? "
Yet, the "Cool Kids" get them...

Who here does great work, produces high quality trees, begs others to comment and still doesn't get praise?? Clearly I've missed them and want to see their threads.

Reaction score
Who here does great work, produces high quality trees, begs others to comment and still doesn't get praise?? Clearly I've missed them and want to see their threads.
You must have, because I see posts on this site all the time, where no one has commented on. 99 percent of the posts posted to this site go pretty much un answered... are you then saying these folks have nothing of worth to add to the discussion?

I bet these folks posting, would beg to differ with you? I bet they feel their voice counts? Are you then saying they don't, because you have not taken the time to comment on them or liked them?

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm asking you to tell me who it is so I can go see their posts and comment. I'm here to see trees and especially appreciate seeing high quality trees that you say are going unnoticed.

I rarely if ever comment or give design advice but will give input on things I do know like vendors ferts, chemicals etc. . If I have nothing to add, but like someone's tree, then yes I will click "like".

Reaction score
I'm asking you to tell me who it is so I can go see their posts and comment. I'm here to see trees and especially appreciate seeing high quality trees that you say are going unnoticed.

I rarely if ever comment or give design advice but will give input on things I do know like vendors ferts, chemicals etc. . If I have nothing to add, but like someone's tree, then yes I will click "like".
Ok... I will play.
Try this one...
http://bonsainut.com/index.php?threads/ficus-salicaria.21549/

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I don't grow tropicals, so I don't go into the tropical section... I assume most people who don't do tropicals don't go into that section either, just like i don't go into other sections that I can't learn from or add to like stands, suiseki or accent plants. But I do see the post received some likes, and some responses.....

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
the more likes, the more comments, the more this person must know what they are doing, right? So, then the people who don't get these then, must not know what they are then doing, I guess?
Yo guys, i just wanted to get a lower rating, because i didn't want to get confused with a pro-bonsai artist just because i post alot of jokes on the forum.

Reaction score
I don't grow tropicals, so I don't go into the tropical section... I assume most people who don't do tropicals don't go into that section either, just like i don't go into other sections that I can't learn from or add to like stands, suiseki or accent plants. But I do see the post received some likes, and some responses.....
Seeing that half of the world works on Tropicals, you must then be missing out on a lot.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Seeing that half of the world works on Tropicals, you must then be missing out on a lot.

Meh, i'll stick to focusing on learning as much as I can about the species I'm working with before i venture into ones I will never touch.

Any other examples of top notch trees going unnoticed?

Reaction score
Meh, i'll stick to focusing on learning as much as I can about the species I'm working with before i venture into ones I will never touch.

Any other examples of top notch trees going unnoticed?
Plenty... but I am sure you will find another reason for not liking them and defending your position. Still will not change the fact that this is what is happening, regardless of if you want to acknowledge it or not. I have a feeling your decision has more to do with the not liking of someone, and them not being one of the cool kids as I have said. Which is sad, bonsai is bonsai... and one should be able to appreciate and recognize good work that is being done. Keep clicking those heals! At least now we know which side of the discussion you reside on.

Top Bottom