Fosetyl Aluminum (small amounts)?

yashu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4/5
So I was a bit of a bad tree dad to a couple of my plants over the winter and tried to “love them to death. It seems I over watered some of the plants that were sheltered and I’m dealing with some root rot now. I know fosetyl al is the best counter to phytopthora and other root rot critters but it seems that it’s only sold for industrial ag and the least expensive (smallest package) are $100 and up. Is there a source for smaller amounts or a product with fosetyl al as the active ingredient geared more towards home horticulture?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nope. Likely will cause more problems than solve anything. Best way to deal with root rot is to root prune and place in new soil that drains. A lot cheaper and more effective.

yashu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4/5
Thanks for your input?😐 I’ve already done what you suggested as that’s all part of the plan however having seen the results of Aliette vs phytopthora I’ll have to strongly disagree with your opinion that it will “cause more problems than it solves”. Have you ever used it or have any real world experience? What sort of problems could I expect?

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Here's a couple of fungicides (that may be more accessible/cheaper) that deal with Phytophthora. I haven't added Alliette to my database yet.

user@Waynes-MBP-2021 Fungicides % grep -i phytop *.txt

actinovate.txt: Phytophthora

agriphos.txt: Phytophthora

agriphos.txt: Phytophthora Root

bacillus-amyloliquefaciens.txt: Phytophthora

bacillus-subtillis.txt: Phytophthora

biophospro.txt: Phytophthora

biosafe.txt: P hytophthora

chlorothalanil.txt: Phytophthora

copper.txt: Phytophthora Mildew

daconil.txt: Phytophthora

gardenphos.txt: Phytophthora

gardenphos.txt: Phytophthora Root

mancozeb.txt: Phytophthora Twig And Bud Blight

mefenoxam.txt: Phytophthora

mefenoxam.txt: Phytophthora ramorum

mefenoxam.txt: Phytophthora spp.

phyton27.txt: Phytophthora

phyton35.txt: Phytophthora

potassiumsalts-PhosAcid.txt: Phytophthora

potassiumsalts-PhosAcid.txt: Phytophthora Root

subdue.txt: Phytophthora

subdue.txt: Phytophthora ramorum

subdue.txt: Phytophthora spp.

zerotol.txt: Phytophthora (Blights, Rots)

yashu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4/5
Thank you!

SubdueMaxx was my next go to.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for your input?😐 I’ve already done what you suggested as that’s all part of the plan however having seen the results of Aliette vs phytopthora I’ll have to strongly disagree with your opinion that it will “cause more problems than it solves”. Have you ever used it or have any real world experience? What sort of problems could I expect?

That's funny. No haven't used $100 industrial additive that's completely unnecessary and only treats a symptom of a larger problem--which is drainage issue. Solve the root drainage issue and the fungus goes with it..Simply repotting with soil that actually drain is a simple, cost effective solution.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I'm also in the school of thought where the idea is to fix the problem itself and not the resulting symptoms.

I have a couple junipers that have suffered from dying tips. So I took them out of the shade and watered them less heavily. Now the problem has been resolved. If there's anything that might live off of the pathogen and protect my plant, it's still in that same soil now and I've achieved some community immunity by doing less work and using no chemicals at all.

Anyone should do as they please, but in my opinion it's way easier to just do less work and just spend less money.

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
What ma
So I was a bit of a bad tree dad to a couple of my plants over the winter and tried to “love them to death. It seems I over watered some of the plants that were sheltered and I’m dealing with some root rot now. I know fosetyl al is the best counter to phytopthora and other root rot critters but it seems that it’s only sold for industrial ag and the least expensive (smallest package) are $100 and up. Is there a source for smaller amounts or a product with fosetyl al as the active ingredient geared more towards home horticulture?
What makes you think it has to be a Phytophthora species? Have you tested for it and got a proper diagnosis?
If as you said you have poor drainage in your pots the dieback could easily just be due to waterlogging which causes anaerobic conditions which can lead to root death .
You could repot with free draining soil and bin the old soil and dead roots as a precaution. Its a lot easier and cheaper than trying to source agricultural strength pesticides to treat an undiagnosed pathogen.
For what its worth there are over 200 Phytophthora species and not all of them affect the roots......!!

yashu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4/5
As stated above, all of these trees have already been repotted. I am covering all bases. Aliette is commonly used as a prophylactic treatment as well. I care about these plants and if there are extra measures I can take within reason I will. Thank you so much for all of the concern however if you don’t have an answer for the specific question asked you’re simply not helping. I’ll repeat once more, these plants have already been root-pruned and repotted into fresh APL well before this post was ever made.

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Did you end up getting this? I just got some and can show some photos of its efficacy or lack here. Also can send you a 1/2 lb or lb if you need - dilution is such that this will last years.

yashu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4/5
No, I wasn’t able to get any. I’ll be interested to see your results. This spring was horrible to me, I lost so many trees 😔. Incessant rain and poor overwinter horticulture on my part (plants were way too wet for most of the dormant season).

Top Bottom