Found a Fukien Tea at Lowes. Tree is very loose, safe to change soil for Bonsai soil or wait and see/Winter wait for Spring?

power270lb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Im in Bayonne, NJ 7b. Relatively new and always striving to learn and research. I usually will Google trying to find an answer rather than post because I'm sure this forum receives a ton of the same questions but I can't find an answer for this. Herons Bonsai on YouTube says Fukien Teas are very difficult to keep but for $9 I couldn't resist plus it'll be better in my care than someone who will treat it like an ordinary house plant. I want all my trees happy and healthy. When you gently pull the trunk I feel I can pull the tree and root ball out of the pot. I don't want to shock it considering I just brought it home so any advice I greatly appreciate. Thank you everyone, hope you're having a wonderful day.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Tropical need repotted for ones who winter indoors...during summer months. It most likely isn't wired into the pot. I would suggest stop pulling on the trunk.

At least it isn't glued into the pot...offer horticulture care for now. Let it acclimate outdoors before giving it a repot when summer arrives.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Herons Bonsai on YouTube says Fukien Teas are very difficult to keep

You know....

People always talk about that but it just CAN'T be true.

They're almost always healthy and growing like this one, from a Walmart or somewhere where there was definitely no genious taking care of it.

Reckon we just try to hard, or witness the prescribed leaf drop after moving it, then try too hard.

Sorce

power270lb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Tropical need repotted for ones who winter indoors...during summer months. It most likely isn't wired into the pot. I would suggest stop pulling on the trunk.

At least it isn't glued into the pot...offer horticulture care for now. Let it acclimate outdoors before giving it a repot when summer arrives.
Oh I only pulled it once and noticed, wasn't constantly pulling it was just concerning is all.

Just Rosie

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
You know....

People always talk about that but it just CAN'T be true.

They're almost always healthy and growing like this one, from a Walmart or somewhere where there was definitely no genious taking care of it.

Reckon we just try to hard, or witness the prescribed leaf drop after moving it, then try too hard.

Sorce

That's what I was thinking! My fukien and it's cuttings have survived my neglect, so I know they can't be THAT hard. I think they just tend to look ugly if they're not thriving.

Reaction score
I agree that Summer time is the most appropriate time for repot on a Carmona. Although, I live in 9a Florida, and I’ve had some negative experiences waiting too late into the middle of the summer with intense heat. Since then, my rule of thumb has been early Summer when night time temperatures are consistently in the high 60s/low 70s. The roots are notoriously sensitive, just keep that in mind. Otherwise, the tree should be fine until then with proper watering and feeding. Standard Bonsai soil is sufficient.
I also agree with some other replies that you should begin acclimating the tree outdoors. Direct morning sun with afternoon shade has been the best recipe for my location! I think the reason most people struggle with this species is they try to grow it indoors.

Best of luck!

power270lb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Just got into this late November. Full setup this is my current indoor setup but I plan to move outside once it warms up (currently low 30s all the time.) All the trees are exploding with growth atm and I have 50+ pounds of materials to make my own soil. It wouldn't be ok to just change soil atm and not touch the roots?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I repot my trees in summer...and do proper root work. They don't always get a repot. Only when needed. Usually every other year. Since they do grow a bit during winter. Patience and the best window of opportunity is how I stack the cards in my favor. When you get trees you don't want to lose. You are more careful.

power270lb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I repot my trees in summer...and do proper root work. They don't always get a repot. Only when needed. Usually every other year. Since they do grow a bit during winter. Patience and the best window of opportunity is how I stack the cards in my favor. When you get trees you don't want to lose. You are more careful.
I have 50+ lbs of Diatomaceous Earth, lava rock, pumice and pine bark but I think I'm gonna wait until I see growth like my other trees then do a quick slip pot without disturbing the roots.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have 50+ lbs of Diatomaceous Earth, lava rock, pumice and pine bark but I think I'm gonna wait until I see growth like my other trees then do a quick slip pot without disturbing the roots.
I'm not familiar with the species...but most don't do well when you have two substrates in a pot. You have an issue with one staying more wet that you can't see. (Organic in the root ball) then you watering to the moisture in the substrate around it. Something to chew over by the time its ready for a repot.

power270lb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'm not familiar with the species...but most don't do well when you have two substrates in a pot. You have an issue with one staying more wet that you can't see. (Organic in the root ball) then you watering to the moisture in the substrate around it. Something to chew over by the time its ready for a repot.
Wow really? On the bonsai subreddit pinned is different soil mixes and there's 100% akadama and then what everyone there agrees with the "gold standard" 1:1:1 mix. That's what's confusing about these forums, I've seriously read the 1:1:1 mix hundreds of times and then there's people who disagree. I guess I'll have to play around and see.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Wow really? On the bonsai subreddit pinned is different soil mixes and there's 100% akadama and then what everyone there agrees with the "gold standard" 1:1:1 mix. That's what's confusing about these forums, I've seriously read the 1:1:1 mix hundreds of times and then there's people who disagree. I guess I'll have to play around and see.
I'm talking about what you "leave" in the root ball.

power270lb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'm talking about what you "leave" in the root ball.
Oh derp I'm still new. All of my trees came with some kind of organic dirt soil and it's been easy to see when they need to be watered. I experimented with a 1:1:1 mix of Diatomaceous Earth, lava rock and pumice on a lemon cypress and I seriously have no idea how often I should water. I know the particles retain water but I've searched for answers and haven't found anything. I stick my finger in and it doesn't feel moist.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Oh derp I'm still new. All of my trees came with some kind of organic dirt soil and it's been easy to see when they need to be watered. I experimented with a 1:1:1 mix of Diatomaceous Earth, lava rock and pumice on a lemon cypress and I seriously have no idea how often I should water. I know the particles retain water but I've searched for answers and haven't found anything. I stick my finger in and it doesn't feel moist.
This is a good way of understanding when it needs watered.

power270lb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This is a good way of understanding when it needs watered.

Thank you so much, pretty much what I've been doing except some dirt would be on skewers and I'd judge that way. Really appreciate the advice

Top Bottom