Found a good deal On a great nursery stock/pre- bonsai trident (new member too)

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
This is my first post here.

Glad to be a member, been growing pre-bonsai stock for about 10 years while apartment living, now I have a house and space to get more into actually trying to style some of these trees. I lurked here years ago but am getting serious enough about the hobby I figured I might as well join.

Anyways, I found a nice lady local that was getting having difficulty re-potting her large bonsai/garden in her age and was selling off a ton of plants.

I bought this trident, and a pomegranate.

Not sure if it is two trunk, or two trees. I probably won't re-pot until next year, and for now I am just going to pinch it and trim the obvious dead stuff.

The nodes are pretty clumped up , I want to wait until the tree loses its leaves to see what the branch structure looked like. You can tell the lady kept it in some sort of rough bonsai training, because it had cut paste and very hasty shape- but some stumps weren't concave cut. It appeared that once a year she (or someone) cut it back hard and that was the only maintenance.

It looks like it will be a neat little tree hopefully, its very healthy.

Any opinions on design, or defoliation? (never defoliated one of my trees)IMG_7717.jpgIMG_7719.jpgIMG_7720.jpg

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Welcome! Be prepared for fun and an education. Glad you found a good source for some material.
Jamie

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hi MrW. How could I not reply to a thread by M.W.! You should put your location in your profile, so good advice can be given for your climate. You can defoliate tridents with confidence it it's healthy, and depending on your climate more than once. Perhaps a partial defoliation would be the best option here to spur bud production.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Hi MrW. How could I not reply to a thread by M.W.! You should put your location in your profile, so good advice can be given for your climate. You can defoliate tridents with confidence it it's healthy, and depending on your climate more than once. Perhaps a partial defoliation would be the best option here to spur bud production.

I live in the SF bay area, so I think I am in 10b. But I will update my profile!

Ming dynasty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
This is my first post here.

Glad to be a member, been growing pre-bonsai stock for about 10 years while apartment living, now I have a house and space to get more into actually trying to style some of these trees. I lurked here years ago but am getting serious enough about the hobby I figured I might as well join.

Anyways, I found a nice lady local that was getting having difficulty re-potting her large bonsai/garden in her age and was selling off a ton of plants.

I bought this trident, and a pomegranate.

Not sure if it is two trunk, or two trees. I probably won't re-pot until next year, and for now I am just going to pinch it and trim the obvious dead stuff.

The nodes are pretty clumped up , I want to wait until the tree loses its leaves to see what the branch structure looked like. You can tell the lady kept it in some sort of rough bonsai training, because it had cut paste and very hasty shape- but some stumps weren't concave cut. It appeared that once a year she (or someone) cut it back hard and that was the only maintenance.

It looks like it will be a neat little tree hopefully, its very healthy.

Any opinions on design, or defoliation? (never defoliated one of my trees)View attachment 181885View attachment 181886View attachment 181887
Welcome!

Top Bottom