Found a layered plant and want to start bonsai

Moustache

Seed
Reaction score
Hello all, newbie here and working on an almost non existent budget for hobbies such as this. I am a newbie to bonsai and gardening in general. I do research extensively via google and learn as much as I can.

So working with my zero budget I have been eyeing some bushes that would seem cool to bonsai based on how they looked. With what little knowledge I have I searched for a naturally layered piece and found one! I cut it free and took it home with me happily! I believe it to be an Euonymus japonicus.

Being a naturally layered branch it was not really ideal in my opinion for a tree just yet so I put it into some soil and covered up a couple of its branches in hopes I can get some more rooting there. I may be wrong and that is why I am here. Hopefully I can get some pointers on how to plant this or if I should wait for it to hopefully layer itself.

I have attached a few pictures.
-When I first removed it from its parent plant I thought it would be best to put it into water. You can see the roots, the branch I removed from the parent plant along with the branches comming from that.

-after potting, I put a stick to help prop the branch up as it was a little heavy on one side. Once the roots establish I should be able to remove it with no problems. I don’t know much about gardening :/

-I tried to show how everything was connected with a crude drawing in hopes it will aid someone assisting me with where to go with this.

Attachments

• F763A632-09BB-47D8-840D-FAFAC474AA88.jpeg
    F763A632-09BB-47D8-840D-FAFAC474AA88.jpeg
    157.3 KB · Views: 44
  • D189560A-F366-498A-8311-6ABDB9AE7DFD.jpeg
    D189560A-F366-498A-8311-6ABDB9AE7DFD.jpeg
    161.1 KB · Views: 53
  • BEBFEE4F-E5C1-461E-BDB9-DF8F98AEA637.jpeg
    BEBFEE4F-E5C1-461E-BDB9-DF8F98AEA637.jpeg
    102.6 KB · Views: 51

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Welcome, awesome name! You'll need to add your location for more specific help.

Moustache

Seed
Reaction score
Sorry, yes I am located in Southern California. Bad timing for a transplant I know but it was there and I had to take it. I am wintering it close to the house with my other starting plants which are doing well so far.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Sorry, yes I am located in Southern California. Bad timing for a transplant I know but it was there and I had to take it. I am wintering it close to the house with my other starting plants which are doing well so far.

No... I was just looking at your euonymus and thinking - where in the country is it still growing at this time of year? :)

bonsaidave

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
There is a lot you can do with little money. All my tools combined were under $20 my first year. Nothing but dollar store stuff.

You can dig up small shrubs and seedlings.
You can us anything as a pot as long as you put ample holes in the bottom.
You can take cuttings from local trees and bushes.
You can start stuff from seeds you collect.

Just get better soil, trees, and tools as you can.

Join a local club! Read hundreds or thousands of posts on here to gain more knowledge and ideas.

Be Aware: Everything will take a long while to grow. It takes many years of work and a lot of patience.

Moustache

Seed
Reaction score
No... I was just looking at your euonymus and thinking - where in the country is it still growing at this time of year? :)

Yes it is being used in abundance where I took it. Has new buds all over it from the looks of it.

Moustache

Seed
Reaction score
There is a lot you can do with little money. All my tools combined were under $20 my first year. Nothing but dollar store stuff.

You can dig up small shrubs and seedlings.
You can us anything as a pot as long as you put ample holes in the bottom.
You can take cuttings from local trees and bushes.
You can start stuff from seeds you collect.

Just get better soil, trees, and tools as you can.

Join a local club! Read hundreds or thousands of posts on here to gain more knowledge and ideas.

Be Aware: Everything will take a long while to grow. It takes many years of work and a lot of patience.

Yes dollar tree has been my friend. In fact that is where I got the pot I put it in when I got home. Also just used cactus soil as I already had it on hand.

I like the idea of finding shrubs and trees to use in the wild. Oasis far as bonsai pots I was thinking of making a wooden box as I have seen done many times here.

I will look into local clubs that sounds like a cool experience. And thank you so much for your helpful advice.

Any thoughts on this oddly shaped rooted twig I’ve got here? Not really usable as it is right?

bonsaidave

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Eh, plant it and just let it grow. Maybe add a little wire and put some bends in it.

If you have a Daiso Japan in your area that place is great for plastic pots, small amounts of aluminum wire, small soil sieves, plastic mesh for pot holes, and random small tools.

Top Bottom