Found a New Azalea

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
that is a decent size! how far up the trunk is it still thick?

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
About five or six inches from soil to branches, so it will probably be a short stubby one when finished, I haven't really poked around much yet, I have been really busy with work. Just enjoying the flowers now, I will start thinning it out and seeing what lurks beneath in a week or so.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hell Nah, I'm moving!

A flea Market?

That's almost as badass as Brewmeisters granny!

Beautiful!

Sorce

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Did some cutting and trimming this afternoon, will work on the roots this weekend. What do you think? It will need a lot more work, but I think it will make a nice short fattie.

DSC09851-1.jpg DSC09852-1.jpg

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
What a find!

You have made me jealous. It looks like you can wire the first branch on the left in place but not so much the one on the right. May have to cut it off.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
That is one heck of a base to work off of!
I would recommend removing one of the two branches at the right and left lowest on the tree... Probably the one on the left if it was me.. But most of all go shorter on the top, a LOT shorter! Like... Cut all those long spindly branches down to a couple inches. Course, if you have a specific style in mind, by all means go for it- I just feel like you can proportion the height of the tree to that fat base real fast and in just a year or two you could have a great tree there!

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Thanks, Eric, I plan on making it a lot shorter and eventually removing both branches. I had already cut two large ones completely off and was scared to cut more completely off, I learned the hard way (lost one or two) to take it slow. I will remove or shorten all of the current branches in a couple of weeks, after I see what the new growth becomes and will cut the root mass in at least half. I am really lacking time to do what needs to be done to my trees this spring as I have other more pressing projects (a shed) but hopefully will get back to it soon.

John

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
what is this looking like now?
The nebari on this one looks nice

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
What style are you going for? Broom? It does have a nice base, but I would consider removing all the thick branches on it. I feel they are too heavy and lack taper. Just make sure it has a nice growing season with tons of foliage before you hack it again.

Top Bottom