Found a nice hokkaido elm

rrgg126

Yamadori
Reaction score
I found this tree at a local nursery. I bought it cause of the nice trunk taper and nebari. I pruned off small branches that were too low on the trunk and ones that didnt fit my image of the tree. I hear people had bad experiences so I am a bit worried. I dont plan on wiring cause its very brittle so Im gonna go with an informal broom style using the cut and grow method. Please let me know what you guys think or have any advice. Should I prune a little more off the apex?

This tree is in Seattle, WA zone 7B
2.5" trunk base

photo 1.jpgphoto 3.jpgphoto 2.jpg

Last edited:

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Your best bet would be to find a local club and join if that's possible, you can gets hands on help an info, nice little elm.

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
What is your plan for the tree? Like what style do you see it as? I think some branches will need to go if it were mine. But it is a good price of material to start with

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I could see it as a broom style using the hedge trim method. If that was my plan I might cut some more of the apical growth off.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I would not do what I suggest without getting opinion from a more experienced grower.I have only experience with Yatsubusa elm.I would be tempted to remove the branches I have marked with red.I would leave all the top growth for now so you can heal the wounds quickly.And then I would air layer where I marked with yellow above that big bottom branch.There would be no reason to rush the air layer cause' you could probably let the top rocket away for a bit to get it a bit fatter for a season or two.I would think you could probably layer an elm quite thick.And if this variety Backbuds anything like yatsubusa,you could eventually chop off the top and it would burst bud all over the bottom portion to make your sumo broom.I think this is great material you have here.
The link I made below is where I learned to air layer.You could use a cut open plastic colander instead if zip-lok bags and remove that big bottom branch at same time you decide to layer to fit the colander on.There is multiple pages.
http://www.bonsai4me.com/AdvTech/ATLayering page2.html

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:

rrgg126

Yamadori
Reaction score
What is your plan for the tree? Like what style do you see it as? I think some branches will need to go if it were mine. But it is a good price of material to start with

Thanks! I want to create an informal broom since it will be hard to wire. I plan on taking more growth off the apex soon.

rrgg126

Yamadori
Reaction score
I would not do what I suggest without getting opinion from a more experienced grower.I have only experience with Yatsubusa elm.I would be tempted to remove the branches I have marked with red.I would leave all the top growth for now so you can heal the wounds quickly.And then I would air layer where I marked with yellow above that big bottom branch.There would be no reason to rush the air layer cause' you could probably let the top rocket away for a bit to get it a bit fatter for a season or two.I would think you could probably layer an elm quite thick.And if this variety Backbuds anything like yatsubusa,you could eventually chop off the top and it would burst bud all over the bottom portion to make your sumo broom.I think this is great material you have here.
The link I made below is where I learned to air layer.You could use a cut open plastic colander instead if zip-lok bags and remove that big bottom branch at same time you decide to layer to fit the colander on.There is multiple pages.
http://www.bonsai4me.com/AdvTech/ATLayering page2.html

yeah that front branch bugs me but it goes off to the left which makes me keep it. i like your suggestion tho but from what i read this tree doesnt act like a typical cork bark elm. i heard the branches are more brittle and people had their branches die randomly.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do any of you know how a Found a nice hokkaido elm
Grows I would bet not. Don't chop this one until you learn how it grows. Nice buy, but don't jump the gun. I chop a lot, but have no clue about this elm.

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
What Cmeg suggested would be great for most elms, but hokkaido are finicky. I have had great luck training them with guy wires as you've mentioned before they are too brittle for conventional wiring techniques. My problem with them is that they die back without warning and what you had worked so hard for will be destroyed by some unknown force. Walter Pall has commented on the species as being worthless for bonsai, which I now partly agree with. They are great looking natural little trees, but are not worth it in the long run. All that being said, whenever I see one with a nice trunk and good branching I tend to buy it despite my own warnings ;) Good luck!

sherwoodschwartz

Yamadori
Reaction score
What Cmeg suggested would be great for most elms, but hokkaido are finicky. I have had great luck training them with guy wires as you've mentioned before they are too brittle for conventional wiring techniques. My problem with them is that they die back without warning and what you had worked so hard for will be destroyed by some unknown force. Walter Pall has commented on the species as being worthless for bonsai, which I now partly agree with. They are great looking natural little trees, but are not worth it in the long run. All that being said, whenever I see one with a nice trunk and good branching I tend to buy it despite my own warnings ;) Good luck!

i really couldn't agree more. i have hazarded two of them with none-too-pleasing results. there is another chap here in my town who developed a beautiful example only to see his main branch just die. a curious species.

rrgg126

Yamadori
Reaction score
Top Bottom