Found a truncated ficus -- solutions?

Evinsong

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I recently found a ficus (not sure exactly what species) in a New York Chinatown. The trunk was abruptly cut off. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can make it less obvious?

Thanks in advance for any advice. A picture is attached.

Attachments

• IMG_2358.jpg
    IMG_2358.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 53

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
My brother gifted me with a similar ginseng ficus, a co-worker gave him. I chopped most of the tubes off and buried it deep. Outside in the summer, you can cut back pretty hard, and it will explode in growth, plus you can start a bunch of cuttings from your trimmings. Welcome to the site.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Does anyone have any ideas on how I can make it less obvious?

Welcome to the site!

I am assuming when you mean "less obvious" you are talking about the trunk cut versus the tuberous roots? My first suggestion is to get it out of that small pot, clean up the roots, and plant it in good bonsai soil. When it is healthy and growing well, a small trunk scar like in your photo will heal in a couple years.

Evinsong

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Welcome to the site!

I am assuming when you mean "less obvious" you are talking about the trunk cut versus the tuberous roots? My first suggestion is to get it out of that small pot, clean up the roots, and plant it in good bonsai soil. When it is healthy and growing well, a small trunk scar like in your photo will heal in a couple years.

Thanks for the welcome! You're right in that assumption. I'll do that immediately.

Evinsong

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
My brother gifted me with a similar ginseng ficus, a co-worker gave him. I chopped most of the tubes off and buried it deep. Outside in the summer, you can cut back pretty hard, and it will explode in growth, plus you can start a bunch of cuttings from your trimmings. Welcome to the site.

Thank you! I'll put the trimmings to good use.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Make a diagonal cut with the top just above the upper growth. Diagonal cut helps make the trunk appear to taper so we don't see the stump. Above the top growth will usually be dead and won't heal. Cut below upper growth will heal up quicker.
Diagonal cut is a basic bonsai technique. Look for some online pruning tutorials for pics and descriptions of good bonsai pruning technique to find out more about how.

Evinsong

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Make a diagonal cut with the top just above the upper growth. Diagonal cut helps make the trunk appear to taper so we don't see the stump. Above the top growth will usually be dead and won't heal. Cut below upper growth will heal up quicker.
Diagonal cut is a basic bonsai technique. Look for some online pruning tutorials for pics and descriptions of good bonsai pruning technique to find out more about how.
Thanks for the advice. I'll check it out.

Top Bottom