found my lava rock

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
This has been posted not even an hour, you've got to learn to be patient Gavin. How heavy is it?

gavin555595

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
if your wodering im 13 and is my second year in bonsai my favorite hobby and i am a boy.:)

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Not sure about what kind of tree to put on it, but at 35 pounds thats a bit heavy don't you think? How big is it exactly?

gavin555595

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I've seen them with 100 pounders which i was even suprised its about !1 1/4 feet tall. and about a foot wide it has a little ledge perfect for a bonsai planting.:D I think im going to put a simpaku or a black pine.

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Gavin told me in a PM that this rock would actually be used for a root on stone plant (as opposed to a root over rock I infered earlier). So I will share with you my response, so that anyone can respectfully (or disrespectfully) disagree with me. Most of us are here to learn anyway.

In doing a root on stone planting, I think that the most important aspect (artistically) is finding a plant that has some contrasting element(s) with the rock. For example the flat, scaled bark and longer needles of a pine would contrast nicely with the texture of your rock. On the other hand, the tight, dense foliage of a shimp would be, in my opinion, too similar to the rock.

You should also consider the color of the trunk, so that it does not match the color of the stone. If the colors are similar, that's ok. You can use moss to help the eye differentiate between the stone and the plant, but they must not match exactly.

Top Bottom